2005 Rocket will not start....

Bill Stone

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 Rocket III
So I have a 2005 Rocket with 12,346 miles. It has been run 3 times this year with no issues... (tank topped off once... so probably a 50/50 split of new/ old gas.) Then a week after the last ride it will not start... It cranks over but will not start. I have checked.... fuses, relays, tip over switch, that the fuel pump is pumping.... but not pressure tested, just that when turned on fuel is pumped out of the hose, pulled apart many of the connectors, disconnected battery for a bit.... With a quick shot of ether it starts immediately... so I am not getting fuel... any thoughts? Dealer can't look at it till July 13th.... :-( So are there any other sensor I should be looking at that would effect if and when the injectors come on? or any other ideas to go after.... it was running fine now and suddenly its not.... so I keep thinking failed sensor/ black box....

Last edited:
I'm not sure about a sensor of other electrical component. After reading this, my first thought is bad gas or clogged injectors. If it starts on ether, I would not think it is spark plugs or other electrical.

Thanks for the reply!! Only thinking electrical to the point of not allowing the injectors to come on/ fire.... Ether proved all is well with the plugs and electrical system... engine fires immediately with a quick squirt! and the plugs are dry after trying to start without ether.... With everything running well prior to failure... I was thinking not likely all 3 injectors clogged at the same time after just a week long sit... but that may be my next move.... wasn't sure if there was another sensor or control that if failed could effectively turn off the injectors...

Plugs look good and are dry.... I believe it's getting no fuel.... I did pull the hose off the tank and turned the ignition on and the fuel is being pumped out.... I don't know at what pressure however.... It's like the injectors arnt being told to inject....

Did it hit strong on ether on ether or barely fire. Sometimes gas motor will "diesel" on ether if high enough compression. My r1100 wil.

If barely fire - check spark
If run good check fuel pressure is >35-40 psi and holds, then move on to to see if injector sprays, if not check for injector voltage pulse

So I have a 2005 Rocket with 12,346 miles. It has been run 3 times this year with no issues... (tank topped off once... so probably a 50/50 split of new/ old gas.) Then a week after the last ride it will not start... It cranks over but will not start. I have checked.... fuses, relays, tip over switch, that the fuel pump is pumping.... but not pressure tested, just that when turned on fuel is pumped out of the hose, pulled apart many of the connectors, disconnected battery for a bit.... With a quick shot of ether it starts immediately... so I am not getting fuel... any thoughts? Dealer can't look at it till July 13th.... :-( So are there any other sensor I should be looking at that would effect if and when the injectors come on? or any other ideas to go after.... it was running fine now and suddenly its not.... so I keep thinking failed sensor/ black box....
I am away from my desk, but have you read the other similar post at bottom of this page for some insight?
Might want to look at battery voltage while cranking, sure you already checked light fuse good, kill switch, etc.

Rick

Did it hit strong on ether on ether or barely fire. Sometimes gas motor will "diesel" on ether if high enough compression. My r1100 wil.

If barely fire - check spark
If run good check fuel pressure is >35-40 psi and holds, then move on to to see if injector sprays, if not check for injector voltage pulse

It ran well on ether.... all be it for 15 seconds....

mine cranked slow and would not start so i would hit it with a shot of either and it would come to life.
i think that it was drawing to many volts and the injectors was not firing.
so u might try jumping it with your car bat.
u should be able to tell if the injectors are working with a 12 volt test light.
u may have air in the fuel rail and is going to take a while to get it out.

My 05 is in the shop right now getting the injectors and fuel system cleaned up. Bad gas in the tank. Bike ran like crap on the last start, then wouldn't start at all the next day. When it was running, no power and had to keep it revved to keep it running. I know the gas was bad because it smelled rotten when I popped the cap.

Back