2005 R3 general tidy and fettle

DapperDan

.040 Over
Ride
05 Rocket 3 , 03 HD Road King Classic and if im a good boy The Long haired General
My Rocket was owned by a large German farmer type chap , he had two club feet (seriuosly) and he wanted to trade his rocket in for a new Roadster, the trumpet dealer refused due to his foot issues , so he commisioned a trike,,,gotta admire has will. Along came I and purchased it without really looking to close, mechanically she is tippy toppy with 45000 kms on the clock , but after getting it home and opening my eyes i was annoyed to see scrathes and dirt all over it , I was annoyed with myself for not taking the time to be an objective buyer, a case of heart ruling the head , ho hum. Anyway I had a blow out the other week, wrecked the rear fender , so it is now undergoing a tear down , thourough clean and a few mods as i go along. Im sure most of the mods have been covered before but i shall share my experience with you , maybe some of you are thinking about a few mods yourself. Mine will not be to drastic, focusing mainly on aesthetics and presentation. So no turbos or supercharges her im afraid , just honest garage fettling , sticking my fingers into wet oily holes ;). I shall post pics as things progress , Rocket is currently stripped in the garage, the tins are at the paint shop, im waiting for a tire to arrive, and im waiting for trumpet to deliver parts , thats all for now peeps

One thing you should do, if it hasn't been done, is fit an Eastern Beaver headlight kit. It will give you headlights that light up the road, and save your ignition switch from failing.

One thing you should do, if it hasn't been done, is fit an Eastern Beaver headlight kit. It will give you headlights that light up the road, and save your ignition switch from failing.

interesting , will it survive an inspection by German TÜV engineers (real golden cap jobs worths) , do you have a link i shall cast my beady eye on it , thanks for sharing the tip.

Out of the box, the power to run your headlights runs through the ignition switch. This generates too much heat and sometimes a meltdown (literally) in the ignition. With a relay fitted, only the power to operate the relay runs through the ignition. It doesn't make your lights brighter (than intended), just stops them being weaker.

Some pics of progress being made

003.jpg

K&N filter in , no problem , crankcase breather also in

005.jpg

I wanted to improve the plastic panels with some carbon vinyl wrap, flat simple shapes are a doddle ,,,,,,,

024.jpg

3D shapes aint so easy ,,,,,,

028.jpg

painting the engine with matt black exhaust paint,,,its looking really good

BEFORE

042.jpg

AFTER

052.jpg

all being well i can pick up the tins from the paint shop in a few days ,,,,,,,,,,

The sun is shining , unusually warm weather here for March, 18 degrees, normally its snow and ice, anyway , i would be out on the bike but "michelangelo" the paint sprayer hasnt even started on my tins, TWO WEEKS , Im starting to get slightly thredders . He said mid next week, i suspect he is doing a touch up job on the sistine chapel and i have to wait .

hhh 006.jpg

got the matt black painted tins back a few days ago , the rocket is all bolted back together . I am very pleased with the results , a few more odds and sods to do in the near future but it will have to wait as i need to dedicate time and money for a Jaguar XJS recommisioning. Acouple of pics for you .

010.jpg
006.jpg

011.jpg

Back