2004 - sub9k miles - duff battery?

nickneale

Nick N
Ride
2004 Rocket 3
Hi All,

Rode back yesterday on my new purchase, stopped for petrol, and it wouldn't start...I did struggle to re-aquaint myself with the alarm, but did disarm it eventually, then nothing from the starter.

What's the best manual to look at if I wanted to swap out the battery myself?

cheers

Nick

Triumph data tool alarm can also give trouble if it's not the battery that's at fault.

welcome from arizona
being that u just got it
was it in neutral with the green light on clutch pulled?
kickstand up clutch pulled?
starter/relays clicking?
engine turning over slow?
anything u can tell us might help to solve the problem.

Hello Nick and welcome from Virginia. I hope you've remedied your issue by now.

When I got my Rocket delivered it had a flat battery. Swapped out the one in the XV1100 got it running and next day got a new battery and battery tender.

If you have an alarm you need to get a tender for the battery and always plug it in when parked up.

I would try and get hold of an ALARM BYPASS plug too - The alarm is a known "initiator of discontent". But if having the immobiliser function matters - then maybe have a chat with @DEcosse about his new improved keyless ignition with immobiliser. His support will be exemplary.

If you fill in your profile location - you may find we have another member local who can help out, especially whilst you try to find where everything is.

^ Thanks @barbagris - while my immobilizer is certainly as effective (probably moreso!) than the Datatool Alarm, the most significant factor for folks in the UK is less about the ABILITY to have it immobilized than the Thatcham certification that comes with it and reduces the Insurance Premium. (mine is not and Insurance will probably not give you any credit for it in UK without that actual certification) I'm generalizing and this may not apply in the OP's case, but I think it certainly is a factor for most UK riders and the ONLY reason they have the alarm (the flip side is most of those same users are pissed off with the falsing and battery drain issues.) It's why the Triumph/Datatool is so prevalent in UK, but much rarer elsewhere in World.

@nickneale - you seem to have an immobilized situation - whether that is from the Alarm, or one of the built-in interlocks can't say as yet
It MUST be EITHER in Neutral (Light is on) OR Side-Stand is up.
AND you must ALWAYS pull the Clutch Lever, whether in gear or not.

Your question about battery - most have presumed you meant the bike battery - is that the case, or did you perhaps mean the Key Fob Battery?

Back