200 HP Chase Begins .... Now Completed 14 Months In. WooHoo !!

How about safety items? Like steering stabilizer and safety tied items?
Yes chapter 7 of the rule book lays out the requirements and steering stabilizer, safety wiring and safety lanyard kill switch. What is bothering me a little bit is that I've seen Rocket 3s out there before but I can't remember if it was a Speed Week or Speed Trials event. I know Jason Disalvo went 176 mph at the Speed Trials. Speed Week has their own records where as the Speed Trials have to be certified by the AMA or FIM.

I'll call this week to see if I'm missing something. My record book is 2020 so there is a possibility someone set a record in August 2020 but won't show up until I get my 2021 rule book.

One the rules I need to ask about is the tire rating. Normally your tire have to be rated for the class and record your competing in. So when I rode the Kawasaki Zx1400R the class and record was about 217 mph so the tire had to be DOT race tires.

In this case the M-G 3000cc has no speed established so as long as you don't exceed the speed your tires are rated for we should be good.

After looking at the gearing the stock on the older versions of the Rocket 3 looks a bit low to run at Bonneville if the final is truly 13 and 37.

It appears that all that horsepower may be wasted if the gearing limits the bike to 147 mph, can someone tell me that is correct?

I'm pretty sure I saw Desalvo run 176 mph so I'm confused.

Last edited:
After looking at the gearing the stock on the older versions of the Rocket 3 looks a bit low to run at Bonneville if the final is truly 13 and 37.

It appears that all that horsepower may be wasted if the gearing limits the bike to 147 mph, can someone tell me that is correct?

I'm pretty sure I saw Desalvo run 176 mph so I'm confused.
I think he had the Carpenter modded bike with a 9000 RPM max?

Getting the max RPM well above the 6,800 red line is going to be the key to high speeds on the Rocket. The engine has to be modded some mostly in the head on the valve train. The mods I am making are said to be good for 7,500 ... may be 8,000 max. Not sure.

Last edited:
Getting the max RPM well above 6,800 is going to be the key to high speeds on the Rocket. The engine has to be modded some mostly in the head on the valve train. The mods I am making are said to be good for 7,500 ... may be 8,000 max. Not sure.
Bill here is something to consider.

Gearing Commander which I use a reference point for gearing potential and theoretical top speeds has a 2013-2016 Classic to plug in for calculations.

If I'm understanding this right a stock Rocket 3 redlines at 5750 rpm with a best top speed of 147 mph.

The Gearing Commander shows the best speeds of a bike in ideal conditions like a dyno at different rpms. It doesn't take into account loss of traction, rider weight, air resistant. I've run 5 different bikes out there five times and had only one bike one time hit the theoretical top speed so the speeds below are not likely to be hit these speeds.

As you know wheel spin on high torque and bikes spins the tire up on the salt about 1000 rpm or more higher for any given speed.

6500 166.2 mph
6700 171.3
6900 176.4
7000 179
7300 186.4
7500 191.7
7700 196.9
8000 204.5
9000 230.1

The question for you is it something you want to even try. Pushing that bike through the air at Bonneville would require enough power to pull significant rpm for 3 miles.

Back