2 wheel celebration

Blackthou

Nitrous
Ride
2014 Black 'n' Red R3R. RamAir, Tors, DP Link pipe
It's 47 years ago today that I set off on public roads on 2 wheels for the first time. Of course I had to see how fast it would go! Indicated 62mph IIRC.

Things have changed a bit since then but still loving it and long may it continue :)

34 years for me , that I gained my freedom and still remember it like yesterday . Looking forward now to the next 34 ! :)
I cant remember that far back - Car test December 1978 (just before Xmas) - Bike about 6 months later but don't ask me exactly when. All I know is that by December 1979 I had my Guzzi-850T3 when I changed jobs.

I was 16 and just started my apprenticeship as a stone mason . Paid £15 a week and was being worked hard . I dreamed of owning a TS 50 ER like the cool kids had , but my parents were dead against it as my sister had been killed 3 years earlier on a motorcycle .
My father relented as I needed to travel for work , I came home one day to find he had bought me a FSIE custom , complete with custom bars and semi king queen seat . I was horrified but try as I might , that bike was unkillable despite crashing it most Fri night's on the way home from the pub ! I know i should have been more appreciative of my poor old dad , but i hated that bike .

I was 12 and stumbled upon a Vespa scooter so I started then. Trust me when I tell you that you can break a Vespa in half if jumped over hills enough times. After that it was a mid 60's Yamaha 60 followed quickly by a street twin 100 and a trail 100. By the time I was 14 and able to be legally licensed (1967) I was up to a Yamaha 250 Catalina. After that they just kept getting bigger and faster and look where I am now 50+ years later. :)

bob

Twas 1976 i threw my leg over an AP50 suzuki...77 onto an RD250 and pass my test same year to be greeted at 17 years old with a Suzuki GS1000:eek: on finance after i pursued my father to go second co signer. Still here to tell the tales so these big bad handling Japanese fours is all a myth :D

I bought a 750 Enfield when I was 17. Told my parents it was a 500 as that was all they said I could have. Dad often commented on how big it looked for a 500.

I hadn’t passed my test and told them it was like a car, ok if you had someone on the back that had passed their test.

My mate used to wander round and off we’d go for a night of serious drinking followed by a stop at the local chippie to round things off. At the weekend we’d start the process around mid day after bike maintenance- rectifying what had gone wrong in the week

My father relented as I needed to travel for work ,
My dad was against me having one too - and tbh had the UK Atomic Energy Authority not cancelled the works bus from where we lived I would probably never even had a bike.

I didn't want one & had no interest in them. I planned on spending what little cash I had on bullets. I had a firearms (including pistol) certificate long before I had a bike.

But the bus WAS cancelled - so dad lent me the cash for a Honda 125 to get to work, 6 weeks later it was destroyed - so bought a 250. The rest is simply evolutionary.

But still have zero interest in the "lifestyle, ethos" etc often associated with them.

At 4 yrs my Dad built me a motorcycle (see my avatar) a custom frame, springer front end & Whizzer engine with 2 speed gear box.
At 14 yrs I was riding Dad's Indian Arrow. At 15, his India Warrior. Was never allowed to ride his stroked Scout.

Back