2 wheel celebration

Discussion in 'Rocket III Roadster' started by Blackthou, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Blackthou

BlackthouNitrous

United Kingdom
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2014 Black 'n' Red R3R. RamAir, Tors, DP Link pipe
    It's 47 years ago today that I set off on public roads on 2 wheels for the first time. Of course I had to see how fast it would go! Indicated 62mph IIRC.

Things have changed a bit since then but still loving it and long may it continue :)

hoopla, TURBO200R4, Dalan and 3 others like this.
  2. Nat67

Nat67Rockgoblin

United Kingdom
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    Rocket 3 2010 roadster
    34 years for me , that I gained my freedom and still remember it like yesterday . Looking forward now to the next 34 ! :)

Nat69's girl and Blackthou like this.
  3. barbagris

barbagrisMad Scientist

Featured Threads:
    Media:
    On the verge of insanity : Madrid - Spain
    Ride:
    2009 R3-Standard - 1979 Guzzi V1000G5
    I cant remember that far back - Car test December 1978 (just before Xmas) - Bike about 6 months later but don't ask me exactly when. All I know is that by December 1979 I had my Guzzi-850T3 when I changed jobs.

Nat67 likes this.
  4. Nat67

Nat67Rockgoblin

United Kingdom
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    Rocket 3 2010 roadster
    I was 16 and just started my apprenticeship as a stone mason . Paid £15 a week and was being worked hard . I dreamed of owning a TS 50 ER like the cool kids had , but my parents were dead against it as my sister had been killed 3 years earlier on a motorcycle .
    My father relented as I needed to travel for work , I came home one day to find he had bought me a FSIE custom , complete with custom bars and semi king queen seat . I was horrified but try as I might , that bike was unkillable despite crashing it most Fri night's on the way home from the pub ! I know i should have been more appreciative of my poor old dad , but i hated that bike .

Blackthou, Steel, 1olbull and 2 others like this.
  5. Bob R

Bob RNitrous

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    2013 R3T, 1988 CBR1000F
    I was 12 and stumbled upon a Vespa scooter so I started then. Trust me when I tell you that you can break a Vespa in half if jumped over hills enough times. After that it was a mid 60's Yamaha 60 followed quickly by a street twin 100 and a trail 100. By the time I was 14 and able to be legally licensed (1967) I was up to a Yamaha 250 Catalina. After that they just kept getting bigger and faster and look where I am now 50+ years later. :)

bob

Blackthou, 1olbull and Nat67 like this.
  6. joesoap

joesoapNorthern Scum

United Kingdom
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    05 Rocket3..02 FJR1300..96 RF900R..
    Twas 1976 i threw my leg over an AP50 suzuki...77 onto an RD250 and pass my test same year to be greeted at 17 years old with a Suzuki GS1000:eek: on finance after i pursued my father to go second co signer. Still here to tell the tales so these big bad handling Japanese fours is all a myth :D

Blackthou and Nat67 like this.
  7. Blackthou

BlackthouNitrous

United Kingdom
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2014 Black 'n' Red R3R. RamAir, Tors, DP Link pipe
    I bought a 750 Enfield when I was 17. Told my parents it was a 500 as that was all they said I could have. Dad often commented on how big it looked for a 500.

I hadn’t passed my test and told them it was like a car, ok if you had someone on the back that had passed their test.

My mate used to wander round and off we’d go for a night of serious drinking followed by a stop at the local chippie to round things off. At the weekend we’d start the process around mid day after bike maintenance- rectifying what had gone wrong in the week

Nat67 likes this.
  8. barbagris

barbagrisMad Scientist

Featured Threads:
    Media:
    On the verge of insanity : Madrid - Spain
    Ride:
    2009 R3-Standard - 1979 Guzzi V1000G5
    My dad was against me having one too - and tbh had the UK Atomic Energy Authority not cancelled the works bus from where we lived I would probably never even had a bike.

I didn't want one & had no interest in them. I planned on spending what little cash I had on bullets. I had a firearms (including pistol) certificate long before I had a bike.

But the bus WAS cancelled - so dad lent me the cash for a Honda 125 to get to work, 6 weeks later it was destroyed - so bought a 250. The rest is simply evolutionary.

But still have zero interest in the "lifestyle, ethos" etc often associated with them.

Nat67 likes this.
  9. Rocket Scientist

Rocket ScientistGrand Exulted Poobah

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    Black 05' Rocket III standard
    1975 for me. My father loaned me the money to buy my first Kawasaki Mach III 500 triple. He put a lot of trust in me cause he knew what the bike was :confused:

sonny, Steel, Longrider and 1 other person like this.
  10. 1olbull

1olbullRiding Motor Since 1951

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    2012 R3R - 1980 Honda Twinstar - 2018 Yamaha XT250
    At 4 yrs my Dad built me a motorcycle (see my avatar) a custom frame, springer front end & Whizzer engine with 2 speed gear box.
    At 14 yrs I was riding Dad's Indian Arrow. At 15, his India Warrior. Was never allowed to ride his stroked Scout.

Nat67 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice