2.5 tire pressure

Kennydg

DoinMyBest
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 GT, 2018 Honda Goldwing DCT
Wondering if it's a mistake in the manual and on the sticker on the bike that the front tire should now be at 42psi where it was 36psi for the previous model for the exact same tire size and a heavier bike? At the higher pressure my understanding is the only difference should really be that it will be a bumpier ride so it probably would be ok to set it back down to the previous setting. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kenny

That could be a mistake. I keep my tires at 2psi over the max listed on the tire. They last much longer this way with the two compound tires I run; Exedra Maxes. I remember how well I like the tires on the two 2020 bikes I test rode and it didn't seem to be a problem as far as feed back goes. I do not know what pressure the dealer had in them though.

I reckon you'll find it "slurs" if you drop the pressure. Feels nice and crisp now.

Ran my old model on 42 anyway. Much betterererer....

I also have the Cobra Chromes on my 2014 Rocket. I found that riding solo at 185 lbs 40 psi to the rear and 38 psi on the front tire is perfect for me. If you ride two up you may want to go a few pounds more. To each his own but try different tire pressures until you find what fits your style of riding.

psi is preference at what people have learned works for them, motorbikes cars or big trucks, a dealer want set a tire to max psi in most cases, big trucks it’s a must to run max on tire not door jamb because more than likely you are at max cold Load stamped on tire, so motorcycles some of us run different air settings, it is critical though if you approach max cold weight air to go with what tire says cold. I base this on information from my neighbor who worked for Bridgestone tires for 30 years, Curtis low we called him, a very cool old man, who only spoke what he knew to be right. The science behind this is for every pound of air you are shy of the max cold psi at the max weight both criteria must be met, the air temp in that tires rises 10 degrees f . I personally run max psi cold cause I am approaching weight limits front and rear, no fat jokes please I’m sensitive

Back