2 1/2 quarts and it overflowed

Hat_Trick

.020 Over
Port Austin, MI - summer, Citrus Co., FL - winter
Ride
'12 R3R, '12 Vic XCT, '08 T100, '07 DL1000/CSM sidecar
I'm feeling like an idiot here. Just did the 1st oil change (for me) on my '12 R3R. Followed the sequence of removing the 3 drain plugs in order (no crush washer on #1) and removed the filter. Lots of oil drained from #1, nothing from 2 & some from 3. Replaced plugs. New oil filter. About halfway through the 3rd quart of new oil the tank overflowed. WTF? Started the motor. Ran for 30 seconds. Now reading 1/2 inch over the fill mark on the dipstick.

Help!

btw, the bike is upright on a paddock stand.

Thanks,

I have seen the crush washer stick to the sump pan. Did it look like you drained about 6 quarts out of her?
The main oil drain on mine isn't like the other 2. No place I can see for a crush washer. I checked to see if it was stuck to the pan. Nope. Didn't seem like 6 drained tho last time I checked the level 2 weeks ago it was full. Seems weird that noting came out of the drain just behind the filter.

There is a crush washer on all three. You should get 4 plus quarts out of the tank drain. It will take over 5 quarts to refill if drained correctly. Make sure you removed the correct drain plugs. Oil should drain from all 3.

The drain plugs are marked in Yellow in the picture below just in case
oil plugs.jpg

Back