1st time Triumph Owner - United States (Salt Lake City, UT)

ChristianV

.020 Over
Ride
2016 Rocket 3 Roadster
Hello all thought I would create a profile and introduce myself as I've been scouring these forums all day getting some great information! I bought my very first Triumph on Monday, a 2016 Rocket 3 Roadster (my last bike was a Honda Interstate which is basically a fury with some touring extras). My Rocket has the matte black and white racing stripe finish. I named her "Penelope" (after Penelope the cat from Loony Tunes who if you recall is the unfortunate center of Pepe Le Peu's ceaseless adoration) due to the color scheme - I also feel it is a good and proper name.

I am more than delighted with this bike. Riding it has been a pure joy. It is amazingly powerful, torquey, balanced, and nimble. It's also quite the head turner - you do not see a lot of Rockets in Salt Lake. Even my Harley "bagger bro" buddies I ride with respect and love it.

The motorcycle runs well with only one issue - coolant has been draining from the overflow tube after I turn the bike off after a long ride. I surmise I have to replace the radiator cap as I do not think it has ever been replaced. Once this issue is solved Penelope will be fully ready to roll! Anyhow, I do hope to interact with you all and learn more about this fantastic machine!

101983479_10158665806008000_6959580476910600192_o.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Massachusetts! I'm out your way every year for skiing, love Salt Lake.

The peeing overflow is often the result of too high a level in the overflow tank when it's cold. I recall this coming up a few times on the forum. Apparently, filled to the correct level is generally too much.

welcome from arizona
the cap is real flimsy i had to take pliers and just slightly bend the tabs so it would seal.
new cap a good idea

Thank you guys for the warm welcome!

I picked up a new radiator cap today and I'm hoping that alleviates the issue. Or like someone else said, the bike was simply finding the level it needs. I did notice the radiator was filled to the brim despite the overflow tank being empty when I peeked inside the radiator last night.

QUESTION: is it necessary to reapply the screw that holds the radiator cap in place? It was quite the pain to remove.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome!

I picked up a new radiator cap today and I'm hoping that alleviates the issue. Or like someone else said, the bike was simply finding the level it needs. I did notice the radiator was filled to the brim despite the overflow tank being empty when I peeked inside the radiator last night.

QUESTION: is it necessary to reapply the screw that holds the radiator cap in place? It was quite the pain to remove.

My radiator was full as well, and with not much fluid in the aftermarket overflow bottle I have, it would fill up the bottle and overflow nearly a 10 ounces onto the ground. I kept refilling the radiator, but it kept doing that every time I shut the bike off. A new cap fixed it.

As for the screw, I'm guessing it's to prevent the cap from rotating loose? I've never had a bike with a set screw on the radiator cap though. The screw on mine didn't want to thread into the hole on the new radiator cap as well. I had to force it in there. The screw might need to be replaced if I ever have to change the cap again, it rounded the threads on it a bit.

Back