1st Round of Powder Coat

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
Dropped off a bunch of parts today to get coated.
Headlight buckets
Headlight rims
Rear Passenger pegs
Rider pegs
Shift lever
Brake lever
Top Triple Clamp
Risers for Bars
Engine "crash" bars
Oil Tank badge
Full CES System to get re-ceramic coated

Living on the coast is a *****, all those parts were pretty badly corroded within 6 months of buying the bike in September of 14. I live with it as long as I could stand it, but, I figure I get a two fer, protect the pieces and get rid of the rust. Should get them all back later this week, and hopefully not long after my black Thunderbars arrive,

The exhaust was $225 to have it completely stripped, sand-blasted and coated. I plan on doing a few "bake" periods to get the coating to fully cure before really riding the bike.
Will definitely post pics when shes all back together. I took a page from Ponter's book and ordered a whole bunch of black fasteners too, I want her to be black, on black, on black, on black, with white stripes lol.

First batch is back. Waiting on ceramic coating material to ship to Hawaii to get the exhaust finished. Sneak peek below still have to finish putting it all back together. Please excuse that filth this is a quick job to see how it matched, nothing is even torqued yet.

The "semi-gloss" finish, commonly available via powder coating is what I chose. It is perhaps the slightest touch more glossy than the stock pieces, but going flat would have been far more flat than the stock pieces. I think once it's all installed the slight difference will get swallowed in the sea of black on black.
20160128_124418.jpg

Last edited:
Pedals are all back together, front and rear. Then hit up the triple tree and risers. Then I had a bright idea, lets relocate the ignition while it's all torn apart.. yeah, that got frustrating, that little bull**** bracket behind the cover refuses to come apart at the welds, having a go at with a file tomorrow.

Mitzzy, that ignition relocation extender... exactly the right length :p Thanks! Like you I had to drill the security bolts, refused to come out easily.

It's actually kind or relaxing knowing I can't ride it for the next week(ish) until my exhaust comes back, slows my pace of work and I don't feel pressure to get it back together so I can go ride right away!

Not quite yet done, but I wanted to get a picture of the thunderbike 1.5" bars and their fit after you flatten the provided bracket.

Still have plenty of work to do before she's ride ready. This is only a fit test, to make sure there is no interference between the bars the gauges and the tank. The bracket as provided from Thunder bike could work, but it would push the bars more vertical. With the Rivco risers also fitted the gauges would have plenty of space to be adjusted and the bars could be brought further down and closer to the rider. So far sitting on the bike and feeling where it puts my hands the Thunder bike bars are extremely comfortable. I still have to reroute all the wiring and generally organized the front end of the bike.
20160202_082949.jpg

20160202_083001.jpg

20160202_082944.jpg

One step forward two steps back. I replaced as many books as I could with black bolts special ordered from England. Unfortunately within 72 hours those bolts have already started to rust. So it would appear that in order to have fasteners which don't trust I have to source some black zinc coated fasteners.

On a plus note I found a really easy way to modify the Thunder bike bracket for the new bars. Install it as you think you should with the front wheel straight in alignment with the bike. Then press down on the gauges towards the tank until there's about one half to three-quarters of an inch gap. Carefully check the clearance by turning the front wheel full left and full right. If you did it right the bent bracket is now a straight and it fits flawlessly, allowing for the bar vertical bar to align with the fork leg angle. Nice cheap 30 second free fix!

Back