1st Gear not engaging fully

technoguppy

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
So as I sit at the lights waiting for a green, I have my machine in neutral. The light is about to change and I gear down, hear the clunk and start to engage the engine. All of a sudden in about enough time to get my feet on the floorboards, the transmission disengages from first and heads back into neutral, at which point I have to scramble to get my feet to the ground, ensure that the cager behind me hasn't floored it, and tromp the bike back into first.

Is this common or a symptom of things to come?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

You mention floorboards. Heel-toe shifter? I have the problem of nudging the heel peg when putting the feet back on the board and returning the bike to neutral. Beyond that, more brilliant minds will have to weigh in.

I have a 09 and mine does the same thing. Though not all the time it is unnerving when it does happen. I've stopped using neutral at lights. Not sure of the reason it does this but would love to know why.

I have a 09 and mine does the same thing. Though not all the time it is unnerving when it does happen. I've stopped using neutral at lights. Not sure of the reason it does this but would love to know why.

I've had the same problem from time to time. I just assumed it was part of the break in period. The gears may have not fully meshed together. I really don't know the fix. Again, i assume and hope time and miles will fix it. Til then, I just downshift to first before coming to a stop. Then I can put it into neutral and back into first with no problems. It seems that if first is fully engaged with a little engine breaking, I don't even need to release the clutch all the way, it will not pop back into neutral after sitting at a light.

I hope that helps for now. I'm sure someone will add a more permanent fix to this thread. Actually, I think I remember seeing a thread on this before. Try searching the site for this problem.

Vink

Yes thgr Rockets will "pop" out of first unless you "slip" the clutch a little while keeping your toe down on the shifter. Happens to most of us I think.

Mine has never popped, but sitting at lights in neutral usually results in tinkering to get back into first, so I mostly drop into first as I approach dead stop.

This happens with lots of bikes, just keep pressure on the gear shift, release the clutch a little and it will mesh properly.

Yes thgr Rockets will "pop" out of first unless you "slip" the clutch a little while keeping your toe down on the shifter. Happens to most of us I think.

It's a common occurence. It happens in part because of the shape of the engagement dogs on the gearsets. The shape of the dogs makes it fairly hard to engage first without the gearsets spinning (like they do on subesquent upshifts). The 'upgrade' gearsets, especially first, are reshaped to allow an easier engagement, however, you won't get an 'upgraded' set unless there are other issues like the lower cam chain sprocket key failure.

What you need to do is make sure the clutch freeplay is set to spec (1-2mm at the handlever, measured between the lever boss and the lever casting itself). You can obtain the adjustment either at the handlever or at the bell crank adjustment (at the front of the engine case). Proper freeplay needs to be maintained at all times, I check mine everytime I ride.

I would also suggest positioning the cable removal slot (at the lever end) facing backward. If the slot is forward, it allows rain and moisture to ingress into the cable sheath and will eventually cause the cable to rust and make the clutch pull harder. I use an areosol chain lube, sprayed in the cable slot, on a regular basis to keep the cable lubricated.

The other thing is to slip the clutch slightly when engaging first, that is, let the clutch out slightly until it gets to the friction point and at the same time, engage first with a firm pressure on the shift lever. Don't be wimpy. Engage it firmly.

The gearbox, because of it's robust design is clunky. Lots of bikes (BMW especially) have clunky boxes. Jap bikes don't clunk (some do) because there is less freeplay in the drive gears between the clutch and the box itself.

Me, I like the clunk. I know it's engaged.

In summary...
1. Engage firmly
2. Slip the clutch slightly while engaging first
3. As doon as you 'feel' it engage, pull the clutch back in (if you aren't going to go right away)
4. Keep the cable lubed and the slot facing rearward.

I rode a 2010 Roadster off the Demo truck Friday, The clutch pull was light (compared to my "upgraded" 05 Rocket) and the transmission shifted silky smooth, no clunkiness at all. Whatever they have done, it has worked well. If finances allowed (they don't) I would trade my 05 for a Roadster in a heartbeat. :(

Shift Down to first while moveing slowly, make sure you feel the clank ! Don't wait while sitting still or it won't go in all the way ! Mine did it twice but after useing this Technique has never since ! Hope this is your Fix ?

Back