Rick Morris

"Have you seen Junior's grades?"
Ride
2011 Rocket III Roadster
I apologize if this has been covered before. Actually I know it has because I read it a few times. I would also like to thank the Captains that posted about this changes as I would not have tried this without the information I read here. I replaced the front OEM Metzler 150 with an Avon Cobra 140 this weekend. After reading a few post on here about the difference the tire size made I gave it a shot. Afterall I am willing to try new things. Especially with the vast knowledge and experience from so many of the captains I follow here.

The first thing I noticed is how well it maneuvers at low speeds. The bike feels lighter at low speeds.Very easy to move around, backing up seems somewhat easier. The bigger tire made me use more effort, I did not notice this until I used the smaller tire.

I was having a low speed head shake at around 42 MPH when decelerating, or when I downshifted into 3rd and let off the throttle and had a light grip or no hands. It drove me nuts. That is completely gone.

Low to medium speed corners are effortless now. Taking off ramps between 45-60 was sometimes a chore. I had to use more body weight to get into those turns. Alos I had very little confidence in the bike as I felt I had to push it to turn fast and I would often feel I had to lift to soon. With the 140 Cobra I feel there is less effort and I can keep my body positioned more to center and at higher speeds into the same corners or offramps. I hit a ramp at 68 MPH that I would normally hit around 55 MPH. I had more confidence and less effort into the same corner.

The original Metz lasted 13,250 miles but it was cupped pretty bad. This is a great upgrade in my opinion.

Thanks again,

Rick

Rick you made my day! I have my R3 in the shop getting tires and brakes and should have it back this week. On the advice of Claviger and EasTexRIII I am going with the Avon 140 on the front and went with a Bridgestone Excedra Max 55 on the rear instead of the 50. You obviously have had fantastic results on the 140 up front and that is definitely what I am looking for too. I was lacking any confidence in the front when it came to low speed maneuvering and was driving me crazy. I thought I was losing my skills and feel for a larger bike. Can hardly wait to get the bike back on the road and feel confidence again. Thanks for your post! thumbup1.gif

140 Cobra up front and standard size Cobra on back. Love the combination. I was actually considering going back to 150 up front when the current tire wears out ... HOWEVER after spending 5 days working on my friends 2012 Roadster that I had previously mounted stock size Cobras on it, and doing many test rides, I am going to stick with the 140 next time. His bike reminded me of the difference in the improved handling with the 140.

Rick you made my day! I have my R3 in the shop getting tires and brakes and should have it back this week. On the advice of Claviger and EasTexRIII I am going with the Avon 140 on the front and went with a Bridgestone Excedra Max 55 on the rear instead of the 50. You obviously have had fantastic results on the 140 up front and that is definitely what I am looking for too. I was lacking any confidence in the front when it came to low speed maneuvering and was driving me crazy. I thought I was losing my skills and feel for a larger bike. Can hardly wait to get the bike back on the road and feel confidence again. Thanks for your post! thumbup1.gif

I am glad this helps. This is why it is important to post results, good or bad. To help others and advance the levels of our great machines.

I take it you are talking about Roadsters here? Does the 140 up front have the same effect on touring and other models?

Does having white walls help?...........yes I am kidding.

Yes they are talking Roadsters, and we must remember the Roadsters have 17" rims, while the Tourings have 16" rims and often tires available for one are not available for the other.

Suggest you look under the Touring Forum for discussions of tires for Touring.

In general, to your question, both sets of captains report the same kind of improvement going to a narrower tire.

Back