'14 R3R Transmission Failure

hnd2hnd

.020 Over
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
I have a 2014 R3R with 12497 miles on her On the 7th of Dec, while shifting from 4rh into 5th at 65 mph on a busy interstate, my transmission locked up causing the rear wheel to slide I immediately pulled the clutch in and the tire released nut locked if I attempted to release the clutch. There was a loud clunk just before the problem. The transmission is locked in 1st, 4th, and 5th I can get the bike to move in 2nd and 3rd but sounds like metal on metal grinding. It acts as if there is something in my wheel, it attempts to move but is binding.
Has anyone else experienced this type of failure? It is not the detent spring as i have removed the front cover. Next it to pull the engine and check the gears.

Who and where are these tranny assemblers?
The pukes are totally screwing Triumph!
I'd like to know why the hell can't quality control be improved enough to eliminate this crapp?

Last edited:
czjus.jpg

This is what you'll see when you split her open...my money says 3rd output circlip is now an inch south of the groove it's supposed to be siting in :mad:

I'm afraid a new Goldwing is the only real answer to the many hundreds (thousands?) of transmission failures in this life of this Rocket III conundrum..bastids..

I have a 2014 R3R with 12497 miles on her On the 7th of Dec, while shifting from 4rh into 5th at 65 mph on a busy interstate, my transmission locked up causing the rear wheel to slide I immediately pulled the clutch in and the tire released nut locked if I attempted to release the clutch. There was a loud clunk just before the problem. The transmission is locked in 1st, 4th, and 5th I can get the bike to move in 2nd and 3rd but sounds like metal on metal grinding. It acts as if there is something in my wheel, it attempts to move but is binding.
Has anyone else experienced this type of failure? It is not the detent spring as i have removed the front cover. Next it to pull the engine and check the gears.
Yep take engine out , but first drop the sump pan and clean as many of the loose fragments out to include the sump screens. That way all that trash will be gone prior to rolling the motor over to split. No need to start her until its done that will just increase the expense everytime. If it was mine and fixable I'd be sending the good with the new to robinson industries while its out. Man if I didn't have so much work to do ow that I'm retired I'd be turning wrenches on rockets :)

czjus.jpg

This is what you'll see when you split her open...my money says 3rd output circlip is now an inch south of the groove it's supposed to be siting in :mad:
The dealership said the same thing and that they have repaired 5 transmission with the same symptoms all between 10k and 15k miles 2011- 2016 model roadsters, in the last year. Makes me wonder how many nation wide have had this problem.

Back