cusso ken

Living Legend
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 touring
G'day fellers ,I have noticed the occasional mention of 12 minute tune ,and being a curious bloke ,can someone enlighten me what it is ,all sorts of things come to mind ,a mate of mine was a Motorcycle mechanic working for a Kawasaki dealer when the first Z900s came out and if a customer complained one was running badly quiet often it was due to the owner not riding the bike "hard" enough to clean the valves and exhaust out, so they would give what they itemised on the bill as a comprehensive road test ,in other words they took the bike out and gave it a bit of stick ,a lot of the time this worked , I just wonder if this is what the guys are talking about , or is it something else.

It enables the ECU to accommodate different parameters whether due to changes in location or additions to the bike. Basically you just start the bike when cold, don't touch the throttle, let it warm up and then idle for about 12 minutes after the fan kicks in. Actually you can achieve pretty much the same thing just by riding. If you google it there's a lot of simple info to be found. I found it useful for example when I first put the Foran mufflers on because the bike was running not too good and I didn't want to ride it like that.

It enables the ECU to accommodate different parameters whether due to changes in location or additions to the bike. Basically you just start the bike when cold, don't touch the throttle, let it warm up and then idle for about 12 minutes after the fan kicks in. Actually you can achieve pretty much the same thing just by riding. If you google it there's a lot of simple info to be found. I found it useful for example when I first put the Foran mufflers on because the bike was running not too good and I didn't want to ride it like that.

Thanks Mate ,mystery solved ,When my Tors arrive waiting, waiting and waiting! from Triumph Australia I will put them on and do the 12 minute job, then take it up to Pro Cycles the guys who do stuff I cannot do on my bikes ,they are going to breath some fire into the Touring .Remap ect then Dyno ,they reckon there is 40 horsepower locked up in the touring just waiting to get out ,no good having a 12 gauge necked down to a .410,

Be aware Ken that the "12 min tune" only resets the adaptives at idle and very low throttle openings so don't hold wide open throttle or at higher revs for an extended time till you get it remapped by your guys at Pro Cycles as it will still be Lean above low throttle

Be aware Ken that the "12 min tune" only resets the adaptives at idle and very low throttle openings so don't hold wide open throttle or at higher revs for an extended time till you get it remapped by your guys at Pro Cycles as it will still be Lean above low throttle

Thanks Hanso ,that is exactly what Jamie at Pro cycles said don't run it on the freeway and just cruise up to the workshop about 30ks from my home. or I may just put it on the trailer to be safe. cheers

you will be safe as long as you just take it easy, no wheelies etc and no drag race of the lights :eek::thumbsup: just a gentle cruise and she'll be Apples

you will be safe as long as you just take it easy, no wheelies etc and no drag race of the lights :eek::thumbsup: just a gentle cruise and she'll be Apples

Just picked up the Tors from Rick Andrews The Triumph dealer on the Coast, I didn't realise how heavy they are, no wonder they have such a substantial bracket to hold them on , too late to put them on ,We are off to Coffs Harbour early tomorrow morning (Friday)with some other Club Cars and owners to take the Customline up to the Lazy Winter Run a Hot Rod and Custom show put on by the Mid North Coast Hot Rod Club, too many things ,too little time!

G'day fellers ,I have noticed the occasional mention of 12 minute tune ,and being a curious bloke ,can someone enlighten me what it is ,all sorts of things come to mind ,a mate of mine was a Motorcycle mechanic working for a Kawasaki dealer when the first Z900s came out and if a customer complained one was running badly quiet often it was due to the owner not riding the bike "hard" enough to clean the valves and exhaust out, so they would give what they itemised on the bill as a comprehensive road test ,in other words they took the bike out and gave it a bit of stick ,a lot of the time this worked , I just wonder if this is what the guys are talking about , or is it something else.
Run the bike at idle and don't touch the throttle; when the radiator fan comes on then you count twelve minutes, that is how I understand how this is done, "Be Safe!

It is a good point you make Hanso and one that I do not think is widely understood. The 12 minute tune is not a cure all, so if modifications are made, by all means do the 12 minute tune, but also find a decent tuner and get the bike remapped and dyno'd

Back