10k mile service - DIY (also, Spark Plugs Not Tight & Wire Boots Not Pushed On!)

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
Sharing my experience here changing the air and fuel filter and inspecting the spark plugs.

Refer to the manual for the basics, but here are things that may help, along with some very surprising discoveries I made...

1) Removing the tank

There are three things to disconnect besides the bolt at the front of the tank and the rear.
IMG_2026.jpg
This hose is under the front right of the tank- just pull it off. It's the smaller one that has some sharp bends in it.

The fuel line requires fuel line pliers
Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 8.31.45 PM.png
Push the clip back and squeeze carefully while pulling up on the connection. It's plastic- hoping for a third party metal replacement to come out. It's gonna break at some point down the road, for sure. Other Triumphs have this problem.

IMG_2003.jpg

Start lifting the tank and in the middle underneath is an electrical connection. Lift enough to get to the connection and with your third hand push down on this little tab to release the connection between the two halves of the plug. If you haven't dropped the tank you'll be happy and looking at...

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2034 2.jpg

The left side is pretty bare and a good place to run accessory wires to lights, etc.

IMG_2024.jpg

The right side is jam packed with "stuff." Take lots of photos so you know how to route things when putting the coils and evap canister back on.

IMG_2016.jpg

To get to the air filter among other things you'll need to swing the right end of this hose out and to the left from under the breather box.

IMG_2018.jpg

After struggling in tight spaces trying to release all those hose clamps (above) I got the cutting wheel out and made some hose pliers. Saves a ton of time and frustration. Also good on the fuel filter lines. Getting the air filter box off the frame was a bit fiddly. It was definitely time to replace the filter.

IMG_2082.jpg

My plugs look lean and I'm running @Penner 's richer tune. If you haven't loaded that, you should!
I was very suprised that the plugs were just barely tighter than hand tight! That, and the spark plug wire boots were literally just resting on the plugs- not attached! WTF?

The hardest part of this whole project was successfully pushing those boots down until they clicked onto the plugs. No wonder they gave up on the assembly line! The frame is in the way and prevents you from getting good leverage. I used a number of different hacks to create a way to push. I'm riding tomorrow and feel that it has to run better with the proper installation.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 8.54.20 PM.png

Oh, and you're going to need a 14mm spark plug socket. I ordered this magnetic one with a swivel. I think the swivel came in handy when inserting or removing the socket with a short extension on. Tighten plugs to 12 Nm (NOT finger tight)!

Continued.........

Last edited:
....continued.....
IMG_2087.jpg

I was dreading the fuel filter replacement, but it turned out to be the easiest step by far.

IMG_2089.jpg

Pull the assembly out carefully and disconnect the wire harness with the green and red wires to give you more room. Snip the zip ties holding the filter. Note the direction of the arrow on the filter. Remove the chrome bracket and slip the hose clamps on each side of the filter down. Pull the filter, replace and reassemble- easy!

Put the tank back on. Reattach the wiring harness, the bent hose from the evap canister to the tank, and carefully reattach the fuel line.

Go ride.

Had I paid the shop to do this I wouldn't have gotten to see the condition of the plugs and who knows if they would have struggled to get those boots back on.

Took her for a good hard run today on the twisties and there is a noticeable improvement in power. Not surprising.
amazing job, since you have tuneecu app and bluetooth scanner. have you thought about 'throttle body adjustments' ?

Also, can you post more photos for spark plugs area. I am thinking to replace mine.

BR

amazing job, since you have tuneecu app and bluetooth scanner. have you thought about 'throttle body adjustments' ?

Also, can you post more photos for spark plugs area. I am thinking to replace mine.

BR
Sorry, that's all the photos I have. You definitely have to remove all the coils and evap canister to get to the plugs. As I mentioned, take photos before you remove all that so you know how it goes back.

Do you think there is room for another layer of heat shielding insulation under the tank? Might help with the hot pressure fuel spewing problems.
I had a similar problem and ended up with a new tank and EVAP. It shouldn't spill out of the tank even when hot unless you fill it up to the tip top of the spout. If under warranty maybe have them check it out because it shouldn't be happening. If you are out on a hot day and you fill up your tank ride a few more miles then pull over and slowly unscrew the gas cap. If it does more than a small hiss releasing vapors then you have a problem. There should be zero belching of gas or loud release of air. Just a thought.:thumbsup:

@Journeyman28778 or can someone help me buying right size for the hose pliers and the fuel line plier?
I found following, but not sure about the size.

I see so many fuel line pliers on amazon
Amazon.ca : fuel line plier

same with hose pliers,
Amazon.ca : hose pliers

can you please point out correct one from the amazon? for ex. point out the price of tools from amazon listing which would fit rocket. 19..99$ fuel plier and 30.99$ for hose plier. something like that?
thx

Last edited:
Back