10,000 mile tune up

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
Looks like the new year is going to start up with a tune up. We have four days off which should be plenty of time to do the work required and to change out tires. Have a set of cobras ready to go. Required tools bought and oil, grease and parts ready to go. Have checked out videos and asked a lot of questions about the procedure. Been reading the hell out of the service manual we bought and plan on keeping it very close by the next couple of days. Plan on checking valve clearance so we got every seal and washer brand new ready to go. Still a bit nervous about it. That is a big bike. Going to strap the bike down real good before taking it up on the jack. No booze allowed while working on the Triumph. Do not want to take the chance of having mister Budweiser help on screwing it up. Just can not see taking it into a dealership for the work. Wish me luck.

You have my wish for good luck. Like you, I do whatever I feel comfortable with on my big girl, and I am pulling for you to complete the service, and later look back on it as a learning experience that turned out well. At the end of the day, crack open a cold Bud, sit back, and admire your accomplishment. You are the man!

Good luck with the tune up ,by all means check the valve clearances for your own piece of mind, my R3T has not required any adjustments to the valve clearances since new checked at 16000Ks then 32000Ks I will not worry checking them now till I notice any change in engine sounds or performance

Good luck with the tune up ,by all means check the valve clearances for your own piece of mind, my R3T has not required any adjustments to the valve clearances since new checked at 16000Ks then 32000Ks I will not worry checking them now till I notice any change in engine sounds or performance

Hi Ken ! One thing to consider is that sometimes valve clearances shrink. This happens when the valve face (seating surface) wears faster than the actuating hardware. It won't make any noise. By the time it gets bad enough to cause performance problems it's usually beyond just re-shimming. I used to have a V-65 Honda that I bought used. The previous owner hadn't kept up with the valve service. When I set them them to the correct clearance, (most of them were tight) they were noisy as hell. I ended up pulling the heads, then removing the valves. Most of them had carbon built up on the faces. I carefully cleaned it off then re-seated the valves with valve lapping compound and a suction cup stick. For the rest of the time I owned it the valve train was very quiet when set correctly. I checked the valves on my used 05' R3 shortly after I got it (16,000 miles) so I would know where I was at. Several of them were to tight. Since that time I have to shim a couple of them that had become to loose (57,000 miles now).

Hi Ken ! One thing to consider is that sometimes valve clearances shrink. This happens when the valve face (seating surface) wears faster than the actuating hardware. It won't make any noise. By the time it gets bad enough to cause performance problems it's usually beyond just re-shimming. I used to have a V-65 Honda that I bought used. The previous owner hadn't kept up with the valve service. When I set them them to the correct clearance, (most of them were tight) they were noisy as hell. I ended up pulling the heads, then removing the valves. Most of them had carbon built up on the faces. I carefully cleaned it off then re-seated the valves with valve lapping compound and a suction cup stick. For the rest of the time I owned it the valve train was very quiet when set correctly. I checked the valves on my used 05' R3 shortly after I got it (16,000 miles) so I would know where I was at. Several of them were to tight. Since that time I have to shim a couple of them that had become to loose (57,000 miles now).

Sounds like you do your own valve check. Bought my bike at Fox Powersports in Kentwood (a big dealership owned by DeVos with a new facility going in just off 54th in Wyoming), I hear that Life Cycle in Kazoo is good on service as well. Have you ever had a price on just the valve check? I'm going to do all the other work myself.

I've never had any repair work done on a motorcycle so I can't answer that for ya'. I've heard good things about Life Cycle. I've been in Fox a few times for parts. Nice bunch of people. Haven't heard anything good or bad about the work they do.

Back