'07 Tourer, or '09 Touring?

CWCobra

.060 Over
I am torn. I have spotted two R3's for sale: a 2007 Tourer, and a 2009 Touring model.

The 2007:
  • costs less
  • has stronger engine
  • has wider rear tire
  • has recalls outstanding (I don't know what kind)
The 2009:
  • Is newer
  • Has dual exhaust (instead of 2 and 1 pipes)
  • hard bags
  • quick detach shield, sissy bar, and bags
Both are priced fairly, and both have low miles for their age. Both are clean, unmolested, one-owners.

Should I opt for the stronger engine of the 2007, or the newer lines of the 2009?
I strictly ride solo, so that doesn't really enter into it.

Any thoughts from you experienced R3 owners out there?

Thanks in advance,
CW

It depends on how you see yourself using the bike. Some would say that the Touring having a less strong engine is largely a myth. You can mod the intakes and exhaust and retune for similar performance as the older bike.

Personally, I wish the Touring was available when I bought mine.

I would go with the newer bike. It's my understanding that it was around 2008 when Triumph ironed out a number of the issues that were arising in older models. As well, you can modify the Touring to make it stronger so I don't see that as a factor at the end of the day. As well, the recall issue would concern me.

I like my standard,
but I don't like my wifes standard.
I like a bigger tire, the wife likes her hard bags (Beetlebags).
Different strokes I guess, so,,,,
Which one do you like the best?
Which one "seems" like it wants to go home with you?
Pick that one...

I am torn. I have spotted two R3's for sale: a 2007 Tourer, and a 2009 Touring model.

The 2007:
  • costs less
  • has stronger engine
  • has wider rear tire
  • has recalls outstanding (I don't know what kind)
The 2009:
  • Is newer
  • Has dual exhaust (instead of 2 and 1 pipes)
  • hard bags
  • quick detach shield, sissy bar, and bags
Both are priced fairly, and both have low miles for their age. Both are clean, unmolested, one-owners.

Should I opt for the stronger engine of the 2007, or the newer lines of the 2009?
I strictly ride solo, so that doesn't really enter into it.

Any thoughts from you experienced R3 owners out there?

Thanks in advance,
CW

Just to muddy the waters a little more for you, I am getting ready to put my 08 R3T on Craigslist and maybe Ebay. It has 1400 miles on it and still has 17 months factory warranty on it. Perfect condition. PM me if you're interested.

The engine in both are the same size...the newer one has the hard bags vice the leather bags on the 07. The 09 is still plenty fast more than you'll "legally" use and with the extra torque you and your passenger can gain weight and it still won't bother it a bit.

The 07, I believe, only came with the silver engine while the R3T's come with the black one.

You do only have one headlight...that was so the "targeted" potential Harley customers would think it was a Harley if someone else was approaching them head on.

I would go with the 09 as well or the 08 that Ridgerunner was pitiching to you.

Dennis

87 dtg Dubai
88 dtg Home for good!

My '07 has the black on black engine,
I think only the classics and Tourers came with the silver engines,
of course it probably went by VIN instead of what accessories it had or didn't have.
Who actually knows what Triumph does in that garage, or why they do it....
single headlight on a Rocket, THAT'S blasphemy.
I say they need three....

All 05 and 07 Tourer only and USA only = silver engine.

Bags of any sort are a must for me.
An 09 Touring is a mighty fine "touring" ride that looks originally meant as such. The 07 Tourer on the other hand...well you get my drift. Muscle with accoutrements either way though, imho, the 07Tr is leaner and meaner. Besides, silver is on the rise :D

Back