06 classic ignition sitch fault

alanstar

Standard Bore
Hi
When I switch on my bike ignition the start up routine is ok all the warning lights etc are lit but the headlights are not on and the engine will not turn over. I have stripped the electrical part of the switch barrel and it appears that the plastic contact holder has cracked and broken This allows the copper contacts to move offline. Main dealer states I have to buy the whole ingnition switch £120.00 instead of the small plastic rota which is not for sale. Has any one out there got a spare for sale. Will this fix correct the loss of the lights and start up problem?
thank you
alan

Replacing the switch should solve your problem...but I don't have the piece you seek.

Good luck,

Dennis

20 dtg KAF
25 dtg Dubai
26 dtg Thunderbird'n time

140 dtg Dubai
141 dtg HOME for good!

Why can't you fix it yourself,
That's not the common problem some have experienced with the switch,
where the solder comes off, allowing the wires to not make contact,
but I'd try to fix it anyway.

When I bought my 06 Standard I had similiar issues with the ignition. Went back to my dealer and he told me that it was a problem that had been identified by Triumph that was caused by the wire length being too short. This would cause tension on the connection each time the bars were turned to the right and after time, bingo, problems. My warranty was in effect so he changed out the ignition with the new, updated ignition (basically Triumph lenghtened the connector pigtail).

I have had similar problems with my 05 if it's a common fault surely they should fix it. It's not nice also had a service £75 on oil the joys of 2.3owernership.

ignition switch issue

Hi
Thanks for the replies to my message regarding my ignition problems. I have solved part of the issue by replacing the ignition barrel which had a broken electrical switch contact holder . But the main problem was that I had inadvertently let my battery charge condition to go to low which in turn caused the alarm immobiliser to go into sleep mode which then lost its memory. This caused my headlights to fail and this would not enable my engine to turn over. My local Bike shop reprogrammed the Data alarm system and now all is well. So I will get a battery Optimate and save myself future problems.

Regards
Alanstar

If you want to go keyless follow these instructions. Easy to do.

http://www.r3owners.com/showthread.p...yless+ignition

Hi All
I've just relocated the ignition switch to the left hand side of the bike and when i tried to start the bike everthing worked but the starter.It was dead....I kept flicking the clutch lever in/out and it burst into life i've not had a problem since fingers crossed it'll be ok. My local Triumph dealer said nothing to worry about proberly a bit of dirt in the starter button or clutch switch.....

Okay. I like this idea. Gothlander, if I do this do I still need to do the headlight relays? I am guessing that I do because I have the H4 lamps in.

Okay. I like this idea. Gothlander, if I do this do I still need to do the headlight relays? I am guessing that I do because I have the H4 lamps in.

I recommend the relays for all dual headlight R3's no matter what key setup. I would use the switched version to aid starting even though the starter relay cuts the power to the lights when the starter is pressed. My bike seems to run better after fitting them and the lights are heaps brighter.

Back