05 Rocket Wont Start Issues after Storage

dixonmusic

Standard Bore
Hi, old member of other boards here from SC. I'm original owner of 2005 grey rocket (7 years and counting). Had her put up in storage for a year without winterizing, trying to get her going, but no joy.

New battery installed, changed oil to Castrol 4t, added some seafoam and new gas,so she will cycle through in guages, (does show low fuel...) starter engages, but will not fire or start. Tried using car battery as source.. still no joy... Any ideas ? Plugs, fuel pump....... thanks

Hi, old member of other boards here from SC. I'm original owner of 2005 grey rocket (7 years and counting). Had her put up in storage for a year without winterizing, trying to get her going, but no joy.

New battery installed, changed oil to Castrol 4t, added some seafoam and new gas,so she will cycle through in guages, (does show low fuel...) starter engages, but will not fire or start. Tried using car battery as source.. still no joy... Any ideas ? Plugs, fuel pump....... thanks

Maybe some electrical connection or multi plug corrosion somewhere on thi ignition circuit side, ECU connectors, Vac hose perished and leaking.. depends how well you took care of it over the seven years and prior to storage, was the battery disconnection before storage ?

Sounds like a fuel problem. Fill it up and let it sit for a few hours. You may have an air bound fuel pump.

follow up

probably should have been more specific, bike was ridden from new until a year ago, nail in rear 240 put her in garage (i also have vtx1800 that became my daily ride)

so for a year she had:
draining/drained battery attached.
gas left in tank (don't know how much)
Old oil
flat tire

So she sat for a year, with battery attached (new one now installed, flat rear tire (now plugged and inflated) old oil and gas (just changed oil and added seafoam)...i have not drained tank, checked fuel pump, inspected plugs or looked at electrical.

So now She will, at key turn (multiple attempts at about 5 sec durations) powered by car battery (car not running) - lights on, gauges cycle through,low fuel light stays on.. (even though fuel added), starter will engage and try.. but nowt, nothing, no fire... not even an indication.. Help

probably should have been more specific, bike was ridden from new until a year ago, nail in rear 240 put her in garage (i also have vtx1800 that became my daily ride)

so for a year she had:
draining/drained battery attached.
gas left in tank (don't know how much)
Old oil
flat tire

So she sat for a year, with battery attached (new one now installed, flat rear tire (now plugged and inflated) old oil and gas (just changed oil and added seafoam)...i have not drained tank, checked fuel pump, inspected plugs or looked at electrical.

So now She will, at key turn (multiple attempts at about 5 sec durations) powered by car battery (car not running) - lights on, gauges cycle through,low fuel light stays on.. (even though fuel added), starter will engage and try.. but nowt, nothing, no fire... not even an indication.. Help
It always comes down to three veins - spark, fuel and compression. I would bet spark is the issue here. Start the car and let it run for 2-3 minutes to ensure you are getting full cca. Double check all of the small stuff - kill switch etc.. Still no luck, then trace the spark.

Don't forget to make sure it's in neutral

Unnecessary if the clutch is pulled. You may have a crusted contact on a safety sensor. The kill switch won't allow a crank of the motor. The clutch sensor, gear sensor and sidestand sensor can put a kibosh on the fun too.

Since the engine is cranking I would suspect your battery is OOS. Voltage to the ignition circuit is too low to fire when 97% of the juice is going to make the engine spin on the starter. Replace the battery with a new one. I had a bad cell cause this same problem on an old Yammy some years back. A new battery and it roared to life at the touch of the starter. The CCA rating alone doesn't tell you how much power is going to the ignition circuit. :cool:

the fact that you had a dieing battery installed( even though ign is off there is still a mineute current escapeing thru electrical system which could cause corroison at connections) would lead me to suspect a conection check you are getting power to ignition coils and check there are no dry conections make sure you pullapart squeece some electrical grease into and reconnect each connection on all sensors includeing crankangle sensor plug behind black plastic infill pannel at rear of engine on left side I once had that connection come loose and it would crank but not start JMTCW

the fact that you had a dieing battery installed( even though ign is off there is still a mineute current escapeing thru electrical system which could cause corroison at connections) would lead me to suspect a conection check you are getting power to ignition coils and check there are no dry conections make sure you pullapart squeece some electrical grease into and reconnect each connection on all sensors includeing crankangle sensor plug behind black plastic infill pannel at rear of engine on left side I once had that connection come loose and it would crank but not start JMTCW

It can also get oil fouled. Takes 5 minutes to pull, clean, and reinstall. Easy.

Back