'05 headed to 1st service check, need advice pls

thorin

Owner of Goliath, the giant motorcycle
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Hello all,
I bought my '05 a couple weeks ago and it has never graced the inside of a triumph service dept. (14k mileage). I am having them conduct a post-purchase inspection to develop a list of stuff I need to address now or in the coming months, a baseline if you will.
1 known issue with the bike is erratic idle which, after reading posts on this forum, will likely be addressed by replacing the TPS.
I'm asking this group for advice on anything I should be sure they check/adjust/replace/etc.
Is there anything I should NOT let them do (upgrade ECU, firmware updates, etc)?
I want the idle issue fixed before I drive out of there.
A bit of irony, the dealership I'm taking it to is where the bike was sold new.
What say you?

It really depends on the dealership/technician - most on this forum know way more about wrenching a rocket than 99% of dealerships/techs :(
Do you know if the 10,000 mile service has been done?
Definitely an oil change - use Mobil 1 Racing 4T fully synthetic
EBC HH brake pads

It really depends on the dealership/technician - most on this forum know way more about wrenching a rocket than 99% of dealerships/techs :(
Do you know if the 10,000 mile service has been done?
Definitely an oil change - use Mobil 1 Racing 4T fully synthetic
EBC HH brake pads

to my knowledge, there's been no service work done on the bike by a triumph technician.
I will take your advice on the oil to use, I can change the oil for sure.
I'm having a triumph technician go thru the bike as a first step in getting the bike what she needs.
thank you for your response! I really appreciate it!

so i am assuming that it has not had the update kit up in which would be a really good idea

Here is a link to the service schedule and Triumph service kit. I would only have them do what you are not capable of doing unless you don't want to mess with it and give them a blank check. If there are no records of anything on the bike I would want a baseline and would do everything on the 10,000 mile check.

If the idle is rough I would run some seafoam through it and change the plugs myself and see if that resolves the issue.

http://ascycles.com/pdf/TriumphServiceSchedules/TriumphRocketMaintenanceScheudle.pdf

Triumph service kit

Triumph Rocket III Engine Service Kit T3990013

Last edited:
so i am assuming that it has not had the update kit up in which would be a really good idea
I have read several threads about updates. are you talking about a factory update to the ECU or a tuner program from a R3 member?

Here is a link to the service schedule. I would only have them do what you are not capable of doing unless you don't want to mess with it and give them a blank check. If there are no records of anything on the bike I would want a baseline and would do everything on the 10,000 mile check.

http://ascycles.com/pdf/TriumphServiceSchedules/TriumphRocketMaintenanceScheudle.pdf
you're right on. I figured i'd let 'em do all the stuff I can't do and take care of the rest.
I don't have any blank checks for sure!

I have read several threads about updates. are you talking about a factory update to the ECU or a tuner program from a R3 member?
No he was referring to a internal transmission and other bits kit that Triumph sold to fix noted problems with a the transmission output gears in the earliest series of bikes. The parts would normally have sold for about US$1700 even then around 2007/8 but sold for about US$240 or so. I believe the factory left it up to the buyers to pay the significant fitting costs. A number of people were known to have bought multiple kits because some of the parts like filters etc were included that were much cheaper in the kit than bought separately. No where near as many bikes without the update ever had one fitted, like yours. Some of those buyers have been referred to as hoarders and now sell the kits at a profit but labour costs to fit are still a disincentive.

If you do a search for 'update kit' on these forums you will discover the details of what was included and what is involved to fit and what is achieved or resolved.

No he was referring to a internal transmission and other bits kit that Triumph sold to fix noted problems with a the transmission output gears in the earliest series of bikes. The parts would normally have sold for about US$1700 even then around 2007/8 but sold for about US$240 or so. I believe the factory left it up to the buyers to pay the significant fitting costs. A number of people were known to have bought multiple kits because some of the parts like filters etc were included that were much cheaper in the kit than bought separately. No where near as many bikes without the update ever had one fitted, like yours. Some of those buyers have been referred to as hoarders and now sell the kits at a profit but labour costs to fit are still a disincentive.

If you do a search for 'update kit' on these forums you will discover the details of what was included and what is involved to fit and what is achieved or resolved.
thank you, i'm on it!

Back