Blackthou

Nitrous
Ride
2014 Black 'n' Red R3R. RamAir, Tors, DP Link pipe
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice as the tune-meister is unfortunately out of commission temporarily and I don't wish to add to his woes.

I have a 2014 R3R with RamAir and TORS. I recently received a tune to suit. I balanced the throttle bodies and loaded the new tune. I did the adaptation reset and 12 minute tune - actually nearer 20 mins. The green adaptation light for TuneECU didn't come on but the instructions I'd read said it doesn't always but it should be taken as OK after 15 mins.

The bike ticks over quite lumpily. She pulls well and really takes off when you open her up but when you ease off or close the throttle it's like 4th July, bang, bang, pop, pop etc then a huge one sounding like a mortar being launched.

I've done about 150 miles now and thought the bike had been learning as it was getting smoother but the last ride it was back to full fireworks.

Could it be the map didn't load properly? It didn't show any errors. I noticed on TuneECU the box for the O2 sensor isn't checked. Should it be and I've accidentally unchecked it?

Gear change has improved and is silky smooth (weird?), she feels much more free and easy revving but for general riding only seems to be happy when on the beans. Cruising seems to feel I'm always in the wrong gear i.e. 3rd feels like labouring so change down and seems like I need to change up?

Fuel consumption for the same type of riding has dropped from 46 IMPG to 35.

Any thoughts or suggestions in the interim as it doesn't sound like the sort of results fellow Rocketeers experience.

Finally this is in no way a complaint just some questions following observations and no offence intended.

I guess my first thought is to put the old tune back in, and see if it goes away. I don't know, but I don't think you could get a bad download or partial load that would still start the bike? Maybe wrong on that, but it could just be that the parameters or values don't match your mechanical configuration. I have used several different tunes to get the best drivability combination, short of having a dyno tuner guy do it right, only because there doesn't seem to be any available around me in Virginia. I also lost 10 mpg from stock.

The better shifting, sounds like that part of the map is dead on. I know what you mean, some tunes are perfect some feel lazy when shifting.

The popping on decel is too much fuel, the big BANG around 2000 RPM on decel, its where it goes richer igniting a bigger flame, I bet it shoots a flame right then.

The fuel mileage is because its probably running a bit rich most of the tune, but such is the cost of modifying your R3.

Lumpy tick over is almost certainly a too lean idle, trying adding fuel, like 4% to the 544 and 627 areas of 900 and 700 RPM in the L tables.

13 Seconds into this you can see that rich swing spot I'm reffering to where you're probably getting the bigger pop noise:

Last edited:
Get a hold of @HansO he will send you a very good tune. Even with all the pain he is in he will send you a very good tune.

Thanks.

As I said originally, he's got enough on his plate at present without me being a pain, so until he's back in the swing I was tapping into the collective knowledge. Any thoughts re the O2 sensor?

The first tune I had from Hans a year ago had the decel popping. I was concerned about the precipitous drop in mileage, and requested a tune that was a little less rich below 3000 rpm. He sent me two tunes to try -- both worked fine and the decel popping was gone.

Happy to send either or both to you.

I have a 2007 standard with ramair, decat and tors and a great tune from Hanso with absolutely no decel popping at all... However (and this is no way a comment on the tune!) I'm putting on a dyno on Friday just to make sure its healthy and as good as it can be. I know some people may say I'm wasting my money but I just want to know that the bike is doing exactly what it should after all I've never ridden another rocket! I'll let you know the results.

The first tune I had from Hans a year ago had the decel popping. I was concerned about the precipitous drop in mileage, and requested a tune that was a little less rich below 3000 rpm. He sent me two tunes to try -- both worked fine and the decel popping was gone.

Happy to send either or both to you.

Thanks I've sent you a PM

Back