jkmccoy51

.020 Over
Okay, question from a man whos father failed him miserably. Meaning that my usefullness as a mechanic is small and I learned to use a screwdriver at the tender age of 27. My bike (2007 Rocket Classic) wont start. For months, the ignition button was screwy. I'd have to push it several times before there was any fire. The ignition routine would progress normally with lights on and instruments cycling but the button only produced cycles about 1/15th of the time. Annoying, yes.. but it would eventually work. Now, the button does nada. Ignition cycle is still normal, but the button does nothing. If I remove cover on the ignition button and use contact cleaner sometimes I will get a single turnover on the starter (I've done this about 5 times). Any ideas?

Okay, question from a man whos father failed him miserably. Meaning that my usefullness as a mechanic is small and I learned to use a screwdriver at the tender age of 27. My bike (2007 Rocket Classic) wont start. For months, the ignition button was screwy. I'd have to push it several times before there was any fire. The ignition routine would progress normally with lights on and instruments cycling but the button only produced cycles about 1/15th of the time. Annoying, yes.. but it would eventually work. Now, the button does nada. Ignition cycle is still normal, but the button does nothing. If I remove cover on the ignition button and use contact cleaner sometimes I will get a single turnover on the starter (I've done this about 5 times). Any ideas?
have you done light relay when cleaning the contacts was any burning/pitting evident and did you put any dielectric grease around and on the contacts

No corrosion was evident, and I don't know what "light relay" means. I did not put any dielectric grease on any contacts... would that help. Do you think it is just a contact problem?
and thanks for the reply.

No corrosion was evident, and I don't know what "light relay" means. I did not put any dielectric grease on any contacts... would that help. Do you think it is just a contact problem?
and thanks for the reply.
well it could be a number of things but probally worth looking at the ignition switch, go under tank and find harness coming from ign switch look for over heated wires also check to see if any and how much power is getting to Starter button. It may pay to go thru some of the tech threads a lot has been written about the the headlight relay upgrade, the easy way is to buy the Eastern beaver kit but that won't fix the ignition switch if there is already damage from over heating, Triumph in thier questionable decision ran All the power directly thru the ignition switch for headlights at worst you might be up for a new ign switch, some have had them replaced by Triumph under warranty even thou the bike is well out of warranty, worth a try

Thank you very much. I'll have a look. Then I'll have someone with an inkling of mechanical skill have a look. Then I'll take a nap. Might have a bite to eat later, perhaps Chinese.

My bike was exhibiting very similar symptoms , played around with it and waited and eventually it would start like you said. Replaced the starter relay (under the right leg side sidecover , that didn't fix it ) checked power and earth leads to the starter motor , wiggled wires as suggested and then finally i gave up. Took it to Dealer who found poor wiring connections in five different locations throughout the harness . Cost me $240 .. two and half hours labor to find and fix the problems . Running like a gem since.

My bikes a 2009 model Standard and done nearly 100,000 klms by the way.

Also consider that it might be the clutch or kickstand kill switch. I disabled the clutch switch on mine by soldering the two leads together. Replacing the starter relay worked for me.

Back