Wondering if there are year models to avoid?

RocketFuture

.020 Over
Ride
2008 R3 Classic, 2004 1100 Yamaha Classic
I'm looking at buying a used R3 in the near future and I'm wondering if there are certain years which have problems and should be avoided? Also how is the overall reliability of the Rocket3s?

Thanks!

I'm looking at buying a used R3 in the near future and I'm wondering if there are certain years which have problems and should be avoided? Also how is the overall reliability of the Rocket3s?

Thanks!
From what I understand the 2004/2005? transmissions had some issues. But only some. And something with the ignition that required an Eastern Beaver upgrade. Other, more knowledgeable guys are around, but maybe asleep right now.

Properly maintained and operated (use the clutch!!) they'll last as long as you want them to.

Pretty accurate. Some guys on here have early models and have had no issues; others not so lucky. There were/are upgrade kits needed for the transmission. Best advice is to buy the latest model you can. 2006 saw an upgrade (evident by the black engine, although some '06 & '07s still had silver engines). '08s are a safe bet (Tourings came out in '08) and by '09 all the bugs had been ironed out. Any Roadster models (2010- ) should be good. ABS was introduced in 2010 on the Roadster.

Almost ironically, I'd avoid a really low mileage '04/05 as it's unlikely they'd have had any of the upgrades.

Spot on CBR3. I have great service with my 2006 black engine bike. I purchased an update kit a few years ago, but it sits on a shelf in the garage "just in case". For a standard/classic Rocket most consider the 2009 as safest. Any Roadster should be OK.

Reality check is this is a machine designed and built in England with many parts outsourced from venders all over the world. Q/A sometimes can be a problem. Anything could fail.

Back