cr0ft

Living Legend
Ride
Triumph Rocket III Touring 2010
I'm not 100% happy with how the bike looks with black tires, tbh. The front especially looks chunky to me, so since it's tire time anyway I figured why not try to find whitewalls?

The front is a no-brainer, I suppose - Metzeler Marathon ME880 come in the appropriate 150 with WWW - wide white. Although, 150/80-16 WWW 71H - is that Bias or Radial? I'm assuming bias (as the only whitewalls I've found for the rear are bias, and mixing/matching radial and bias isn't a great idea from what I gather.)

The rear is another matter altogether. The ME880 tops out as a 170 in WWW, so that's out.

I found a Dunlop tire aimed at Harley-Davidsons - http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/harley-davidson/american-elite/american-elite/ - but finding that in Europe doesn't seem easy. On the European site, there is the D407 http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.eu/dunl...model=-1&year=-1&width=180wm&height=-1&rim=16 which is a 65 profile instead of 70 but otherwise right.

Would these tires work, do you think (say, the ME880 + the Dunlop D407 combined?)

And should I be concerned that the Bridgestone Excedras of old (G850, I believe) started shredding on the R3T due to torque - ie, is the Dunlop rear safe?

I'll withhold comment on the white wall thing and just say that unless you find someone who has put significant mileage on an R3T with the Dunlop I'd avoid it. I had the original Bridgestones come apart in '08, not a good experience.

Triumph has a special tire made with white side walls for the new Thunderbird LT, I think Avon was making them but for the Rocket?????????????????

I'll withhold comment on the white wall thing and just say that unless you find someone who has put significant mileage on an R3T with the Dunlop I'd avoid it. I had the original Bridgestones come apart in '08, not a good experience.

Edit: found an old thread with other whitewall ponderers: http://www.r3owners.net/threads/old-school.13899/ - I think the mock-ups look awesome.

Yeah, that's (tire longevity) a concern. I don't generally beat the bike up and use all the torque all the time, and the R3T is really no heavier than any other fully kitted out bagger, so now I'm left wondering how likely it is that the 407D is structurally incapable of handling the R3T. Ie, I wonder if the old Excedras were just crap tires.

Is everyone rocking some Metzeler Marathons still or what are people using?

Edit: found an old thread with other whitewall ponderers: http://www.r3owners.net/threads/old-school.13899/ - I think the mock-ups look awesome.

Yeah, that's (tire longevity) a concern. I don't generally beat the bike up and use all the torque all the time, and the R3T is really no heavier than any other fully kitted out bagger, so now I'm left wondering how likely it is that the 407D is structurally incapable of handling the R3T. Ie, I wonder if the old Excedras were just crap tires.

Is everyone rocking some Metzeler Marathons still or what are people using?
I have Excedra Max on the rear and a Avon front!!!

I have Excedra Max on the rear and a Avon front!!!

Interesting. At least I'm not the only one considering something other than Marathons or going darkside. :)

My bike is often under 2-up load though, so maybe bias-ply would help with stability over all, as they don't flex nearly as much as radials (and also give less grip - but I'm not riding a supersport here...)

do a search about "front and rear tires and tyres" There are a good many different combinations the guys here run!

Yeah, I was thinking that since people run varying rubber already, I may as well see about trying to ride with some whitewalls. :) The Dunlop D407 has a weight rating of 81, which is considerably better than the 77 of the Metzeler ME880 radial (probably because it's thinner and bias-ply)... and I have to doubt it gets shredded by the torque of a standard R3T with a fairly staid ;) rider.

JMTC..White walls give the bike a retro classic look. The Rocket is far from being a classic in the since of being old. I have them(Dunlops) on my Roadking Classic but it suits the look for the period look of the bike. FYI...they're a pain in the butt to keep clean. I spend at lest an hour sometimes more just keeping them bright white. I'm not saying it wouldn't look good,but your sure asking to be confused for a Harley...;):confused:

Attachments

• 22177_1252610432930_1531257_n.jpg
    22177_1252610432930_1531257_n.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
The R3 Roadster etc don't really look that classic, true, but the R3 Touring comes a lot closer. It has the gauges on the tank, it has the swoopy tank, it has the shield and bags... it's not that far off, really, which is why I think whitewalls would look great. But yeah, whitewalls are a bit showier and thus more work, I'm sure!

But comparing this to your Harley pic, it's not at all that far apart - on purpose, the R3T is an obvious attempt to fish for American customers especially. :)

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-Triumph-RocketIII-Rocket3-TouringABSb.jpg

Back