Which tachometer can be used with R3T?

dbutton12

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T
Has anyone tried any specific brand of tach? Most of the manufacturers can't tell me if theirs will work on a 3cyl. Does anyone know if the Rocket uses the "waste spark" ignition (which fires each time the piston is at TDC, once compression and once exhaust) or is it the traditional system which fires each plug only on TDC compression? If I know this it will narrow my search for a tach by 50%

I used an Autometer 5" Monster tacho on one of my project bikes, spliced straight of the original tacho wiring and had it set on the 4 cylinder setting. Worked perfect, can't understand why it worked, but it was reading spot on.

Speedometer and Tach

Any of you guys ever tried these gauges? I'm thinking of putting a speedo and tach in the fairing I just put on the Rocket. Since its a Touring I currently don't have a tach, and although I do have a speedo, it only goes to 120mph and we all know better than that.:cool:

Black 7 Color 3 3/4 In Dash Speedometer Gauge

I'd love to know if anyone solved the tach problem for the Touring, I know one member on this or the other forum bought one, but returned it never installed. Someone said there was no tach output on a Touring, but that can't be completely true, the ECU obviously must be able to read rpms.

I'd love to know if anyone solved the tach problem for the Touring, I know one member on this or the other forum bought one, but returned it never installed. Someone said there was no tach output on a Touring, but that can't be completely true, the ECU obviously must be able to read rpms.

That's not what I want to hear because I ordered one yesterday! Oh well, they have a 30 day return policy so if I can't find a place to hook it up I'll just send her back.

The ECU does read RPMs. I have a Scangauge connected and it shows RPMs. However the refresh rate is a little too slow to make it usable. Its fine for showing your revs at idle or at a steady cruising rate, but it can't track fast enough to be of use for something like shifting.

OK - A BIT OF ADVICE.

Unless it's specifically is made for a bike and says i's 100% waterproof. It WILL EVENTUALLY fail.

If all you want is an RPM reading - There are some neat small rev-counters made by KOSO. These are Stainless Steel cased and waterproof. Analogue and Digital.

i.e.

I use one of these cunningly calibrated to work with a GPS sensor as a speedo.
The RPM large digits and the REV indicator bar make it easy to read at high speed. The REV indicator bars can be program for 10 000, 15 000 or 20 000 RPM to make it fi t on all type of engines

This one above I've seen in Black too.

This is what I've simply sampled from the Koso-USA site.

These will all take a signal off the coil->plug HT wire.

Koso has some nice stuff if I ever lose either one my gauges I will be switch over to one of there models that cantains everthing. I agree with the water proof statement above. I have used good gauges before that were not specifically made for bikes like the SPA boost gauge worked great for a long time even in some rain but once I was caught in a monsoon it gave up the ghost. I would go with the Koso so as not to waste your money and time.

Back