What bikes can keep up with a r3 top gear roll on, stock or with mods

pete.triumph

Supercharged
These are my fun results before my mod's from $100 to silly

Ducati diavel I walked away

09 Yamaha vmax 1700 I get a slight lead then vmax would pull away faster the faster we went

2012 zx14 even for a few seconds then good by his gone like the vmax

XJ1300 naked i think 05 model , i nudge ahead

NOW AFTER MOD'S

VMAX refused to run me in top he ran a lower gear close but he got me. but ran out in his chosen gear
i had a bit to go still so i say inconclusive . he just wont run me again

2012 ZX14 i walked away

02 cagiva 1000 naked even but he was in 4th (they have 6 gear's)
i wasn't clear ? ok next run im in 4th ,did he forget to open the throttle ?

I'm sorry Pete, but I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.
I can see that by spending money on mods to make your bike faster you appear to have made your bike faster but the comparison to the other bikes is bit like seeing if a golf ball will bounce higher than a squash ball. So what?

From real low rpm not much could live with it stock in a top gear roll on initially
not even a tuned high reving R3, but when the revs are up it's game over.

That is true but its fun catching out the ports bike on a stock looking rocket , i just wanted an equally strong top end as bottom end and i have that now although i did loose a little below 2 grand rpm

Yeah, add 50 or 60 horsepower to your opponents and they'll have you again. When horsepower, weight and aero overcome torque they win. I'd guess a John Deere would outrun a Ferrari for a few feet.

Pick your battles carefully and you'll never lose.

I'm sorry Pete, but I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.
I can see that by spending money on mods to make your bike faster you appear to have made your bike faster but the comparison to the other bikes is bit like seeing if a golf ball will bounce higher than a squash ball. So what?

i really did it for better fuel economy

The Carpentered Rocket has ruined me, I took my TT600 I bought this winter out for a first ride today, wound the first 3 gears out to the 14,000 rpm redline...eh, power seemed anemic.

The Carpentered Rocket has ruined me, I took my TT600 I bought this winter out for a first ride today, wound the first 3 gears out to the 14,000 rpm redline...eh, power seemed anemic.

I know what you mean. I took the 900 Thunderbird Sport out today for a final ride. I love the sound and handling. But where is the power ?

TBS is for sale. Hate to sell but need some cash to cover the funeral expenses for my Brother In Law.

083.JPG 8554_68a4eb86f8f049bccce4779d93ac4e4e.JPG 8555_2ca2585814521160da36bc4ad638c523.JPG

Last edited:
I have belatedly discovered (after 2 years) just how strangled my standard R3 Roadster is in the first 3 gears. I don't normally ride my bike hard but since I had had an 09 R3 previously I knew the Roadster felt flat in comparison. I also had read that Trimph had left 4th gear alone and that 5th gear was simply limited for top speed rather than torque. So yesterday I did an experiment - if you have a 2011/2012 stock Roadster it's worth trying.
Ride at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear and crack open the throttle - it's OK-ish - better than my Honda NC700 X :) - but nothing to write home about. Now ride at the same road speed in 4th gear (so your revs are probably just over 2000rpm. Now you would imagine that the engine will 'bog' a bit when you open the throttle in comparison to what it did in 3rd gear. But no - the bike shoots off like a maniac machine. What possessed Triumph to do that to the first 3 gears?

Back to the original idea for the thread. It is interesting to understand that the Rocket beats some of these bikes, but I have been demo riding some superbikes recently whilst considering swapping the Roadster. I test rode a BMW S1000R (the street version of the recent superbike). There is no doubt this bike blows the Rocket away - and just about any other bike you could think of. Maybe even in top gear roll-on. But to me that's not the point. It's totally impractical - I don't think I got out of 2nd gear on any of the roads I normally ride, and if I want to tootle it, it's not a pleasant ride.

The Roadster (which I have decided to keep) on the other hand is a *****cat to ride slowly round the countryside but if I want to open it up it gives me more thrills than any cruiser. Problem is that's only true in 4th and 5th so my next task is to put in the latest Triumph Roadster tune to cut out the torque limiters in the first 3 gears.
Mike

Back