Wanted: someone who installed the Rivco risers on the R3T

1BigDog

Gone to the Dogs!
Ride
Size 12 Bates, extra wide
I just bought a set of Rivco risers and have some clutch cable questions. The instructions say to remove the clutch cable from the handlebar lever and re-route the cable but I dont see where this would work without first disconnecting the cable from the lever down below, alongside the engine first. The factory manual shows the procedure by disconnection the cable first from the low point. I havent had a cable clutch in 30 years...mainly hydraulic clutches so im a bit hesitant to do this until I feel more confident/familiar with the set-up. Any tips would be appreciated. I can get longer cables from Phat Performance if needed and I may go that route if I dont like the way the stock cable looks afterward.But, before I do that I wanted your input with this first.

Thanks...Jeff

You can disconnect the cable in either end but as I recall I first loosened it up top as much as possible and then disconnected it below and rerouted it. But it's not complicated, you can take the cable off completely in both ends and then reattach. You'll have to reroute it next to the plastic covers on both sides between the tank and the forks to make it reach. For me that led to it getting pinched and chafed so I have a brand new 2 inches longer cable laying around waiting to be installed. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and get the cable, from the outfit you mention or perhaps Barnett, but until you get one simply rerouting it will do the job.

Adjusting the clutch is easy enough once you reattach, just tighten it until the clutch has a little bit of play in it but not excessive amounts.

Mybissue with the Rivco riser was I could not use the nice Triumph top piece because it would not tighten up enough to hood the bars in place:(

Mybissue with the Rivco riser was I could not use the nice Triumph top piece because it would not tighten up enough to hood the bars in place:(

Good thing I never went for the billet piece there, then. Good to know.

They made a big difference in riding for me..:thumbsup:

The R3T has different risers compared to the other R3's, but yes - huge difference. When I rode the bike home from the dealer, I felt like I was constantly leaned in and perched over the tank, weird feeling on a cruiser. One inch up and two inches back fixed that completely, plus I could angle the bars down enough so that my wrists weren't kinked anymore which was absolutely necessary for survivable ergonomics. Motorcycle bars are so often just insanely bad with twisting the carpal tunnel in the wrist nearly shut (which after years of keyboard work is not fun for me.)

Ill probably go ahead and order a 2" over cable. I like my stuff looking neat and tidy. Still have that Barnett part # on hand?

Ill probably go ahead and order a 2" over cable. I like my stuff looking neat and tidy. Still have that Barnett part # on hand?

The codes for the R3T are at http://www.barnettclutches.com/2003/triumph/0/0/2010-triumph-rocket-iii touring.html They have several finishes too - standard black, stainless, platinum and "stealth" which is everything black. Just replace the initial three numbers with another set of three if you want a specific finish.

101 = Traditional Black, 102 = Stainless braid w/clear coat, 106 = Platinum Series bright silver, 131 = Stealth Series.

More info about ordering here http://www.barnettclutches.com/cables.html (click the "how to order custom cables" tab.)

Basically, you need the code and then add "+2 inches" add +3 inches when ordering.

Last edited:
removed my cable from the lever that was easy.. ended up cutting a small piece off of the plastic cover in front of petrol tank to avoid the clutch cable rubbing after relocating for risers. tried my handlebars up higher and didn't like.. dropped them as low as possible and love the feel and found an improvement in handling

Just for the record - I finally got around to installing my cable now and turns out I got one that was at most +1 inch and maybe a tiny bit more. There may have been confusion as I got throttle cables too to match (steel braid) and those I wanted +1. End result - the cable is almost the same length as stock, and doesn't route the proper way. Ugh. +2 would just barely have worked, but +1 - no chance. I'd recommend +3 at this point. The cables are beautiful, workmanship is top notch, but... wrong length. Fuuuu...

Last edited:
Back