Vibration 2800 to redline

Shaneamo

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic
I just purchased an 06 RT3 Classic with only 7800 miles on it.

During the test ride I didn't want to push it after all I had read of its power and everything seemed great.

Ended up in the rain on the way home so I still didn't take it above 2500 rpm.

Finally the weekends here its sunny and I take off to Angeles Crest hit the freeway and start to push it, once at 2800 rpm the bike starts to vibrate heavily from what I can only guess is the motor, it feels as if its resonating through the whole bike.

This happens in every gear and also sitting in neutral reving the throttle up. I had my mechanic look at it and he said hmm take it to Triumph.

Hoping this is simple and or nothng serious, any suggestions? I have looked the bike over top to bottom and nothing is loose or rattling.

If it loses power at the same time, could be a crank position sensor. Mine got wet once (washing the bike), and did that.

First of all, welcome to the forum. If you get a chance, drop into the Meet the Members and say hello.

There are a lot of possibilities. Simple things to check would be the low tension leads on all three coils, and that all spark plug leads are on correctly. You could also check the Primary TPS, and the throttle body balance, and the crank position sensor. As the bike has very low mileage, I would also check all the fluids, and drain the gas tank and put fresh fuel in it. While doing that you could check the fuel filter to see if it is gunked up with bad gas. If it is then the injectors may be as well.

Has the engine thrown any CEL codes?

It could also be the wiring on the ignition switch getting ready to fail. If you don't have an Eastern Beaver kit, or something similar, then the ignition switch will fail at some point. It can be repaired, but you will still need the EB kit.

If you don't have TuneECU, then you should get it. It will help with diagnostics and settings.

Yep I would be checking them low tension leads first. They do work loose over time. Then I would start as Ian suggested by getting a cable and the software so you can diagnose problems.

There has been a few posts about vibrations, I have one in my 2011 Roadster but it completely disappears with the slightest of pressure on the clutch lever, no more pressure than needed to take the free play out of the cable.

I would be interested to know if you experienced the same.

My Roadster has only 16500kms and it does not seem to ever become any worse.

First of all, welcome to the forum. If you get a chance, drop into the Meet the Members and say hello.

There are a lot of possibilities. Simple things to check would be the low tension leads on all three coils, and that all spark plug leads are on correctly. You could also check the Primary TPS, and the throttle body balance, and the crank position sensor. As the bike has very low mileage, I would also check all the fluids, and drain the gas tank and put fresh fuel in it. While doing that you could check the fuel filter to see if it is gunked up with bad gas. If it is then the injectors may be as well.

Has the engine thrown any CEL codes?

It could also be the wiring on the ignition switch getting ready to fail. If you don't have an Eastern Beaver kit, or something similar, then the ignition switch will fail at some point. It can be repaired, but you will still need the EB kit.

If you don't have TuneECU, then you should get it. It will help with diagnostics and settings.
There has been a few posts about vibrations, I have one in my 2011 Roadster but it completely disappears with the slightest of pressure on the clutch lever, no more pressure than needed to take the free play out of the cable.

I would be interested to know if you experienced the same.

My Roadster has only 16500kms and it does not seem to ever become any worse.
I did read through the other vibration threads prior to posting but didn't see anything similar, I tried feathering the clutch and that didn't have an effect on my vibration.

I'll check the low tension leads in the morning, which sounds promising based on other symptoms mentioned. I don't know about CEL codes, but I don't have any system warning lights on.

You condition does sound different from what I am experiencing, be interesting to hear how you get on.
Mine still has the same vibration under load that yours does @motolink take up the clutch free play and it stops. Have been told they all do it by Triumph after they hAd mine for a week riding it because a mechanic there test rode it after a service and thought it didn't feel right. That was 20,000klm ago and it hasn't got any worse. Spoke to Graham at Triumph Springwood about it 2 weeks ago. He said it's just the clutch basket nothing to worry about it they all do it. Plenty on here say theirs doesn't do it so I don't know. I just keep riding mine.

Bruce, I have the same attitude as you, just keep riding but it would great if the vibration was not there.
Triumph have offered to pay to have the clutch basket retaining nut checked for the correct torque.

Back