very slow cranking when cold

pete.triumph

Supercharged
After my mods on my r3 with 10 to 1 pistons i found the stater motor was struggling to crank over , so i looked up some post on that and a more powerful starter motor or relay up grade seemed like the answer . but i looked at the diagram & felt the high current cable & notice it was getting quite warm at + on starter motor so i tried a thicker cable from battery to stater motor bingo WHAT a big difference that made

Attachments

• 20130714_225629.jpg
    20130714_225629.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
cable

Pete what mm cable did you upgrade to
7mm thick and 900mm length i havent fit it yet i just disconnected
the original to try out the thicker cable i will have to remove the filter box to thread it correctly there was a lot of heat from that eye ring on the starter motor it's just too thin

7mm thick and 900mm length i havent fit it yet i just disconnected
the original to try out the thicker cable i will have to remove the filter box to thread it correctly there was a lot of heat from that eye ring on the starter motor it's just too thin
you putting a heavier eye ring on as well I hope, I have been thinking of replacing mine (Pos cable) but also the Neg while I am at it :)

cable

you putting a heavier eye ring on as well I hope, I have been thinking of replacing mine (Pos cable) but also the Neg while I am at it :)

the eye on the original is thin the new cable eye is ok you, thwe neg looks thicker than the pos i might try a thicker eye on the original just to see if it makes a difference but let me tell you it seemed it turned over three times faster !

Carpenter does this on all of his builds, I believe.
I have two batteries in parallel and used #1 welder's cable to connect them to each other and to ground. The Carpentered bike spins over soooo fast. I thought I was going to need a bigger starter motor but this was the FIX.
It is interesting to me that Triumph created this engineering marvel and overlooked and adequate ground cable! Don't they understand electrical resistance with a too small cable? Christ!...a few bucks more!!

Back