Used Rocket 3 buying help.

Sandeep

Standard Bore
Ride
Pulsar DTSi
Hello !

After a GAP of 6 long years, I have finally decided to buy a used motorcycle to drive during summer and fall season. I have found a 2005 Rocket 3, priced at USD 5.5K, 10K miles on it.

Before I go ahead and make this amazing buy - I need some help and guidance !

1. I would urge you not make a "joke" out of this - but my past motorcycle was a 180 CC - 2nd biggest motorcycle you could buy on a budget in India at that time. I always wanted to buy a big bike for cruising, on the highways - and I have the rocket 3 on my mind (2094 CC). I am fearful if this motorcycle will be too much for me ? Anyone bought this as their -second or first motorcycle ?

2. What are a couple of things I must request the past owner to specify, before I buy this bike ?

Please help me out !

Thanks
Sandeep.

Most people would recommend you start on something much, much ligher then a rocket for your first or second bike.

Its not that you don't have the knowledge how to ride, but in all seriousness, this bike is *@&%@'ing heavy. Really heavy. If you haven't had a heavy bike before, you will have a hard time and finally, drop the bike somewhere. I rode a number of bikes with 1600+ cc's before I got the rocket. I also have an ST1300 which is just a little lighter then a rocket, but it scares me as well how heavy it is.

The bike does great once you are moving, but honestly I would probably start with something a little lighter and work up to the Rocket. Again, my opinion but you are free to do as you wish. I just simply can't see myself ever recommending to anyone who wants to start riding to get a rocket. It sees like lunacy to me.

There are LOTS of motorcycles with Big CC's that are much easier to ride, affordable and have good reliability.

Just my 2 cents!

Welcome from Germany sand!
You said a gap of 6 years, but not how long you actually rode before. If you don't have much experience, the rocket (2294cc btw) is a pretty powerful and heavy beast. I would not recommend it to "learn" on. If you rode your other bike for several years/miles, you could probably do ok. No one can really make that decision for you, but whatever you do, be safe, take some time to practice slow speed, etc. just moving her around a parking lot will be a learning curve for you with the weight.
As for what to ask? Service record (standard upkeep), accident history, and as it's an 05 with 10k, I wouldn't consider it unless they'd had the triumph update kit installed for the transmission. The update kit also helps with the ignition switch, but I'd ask about something like the Eastern Beaver relay.
Let us know what you choose!

Well, first of all have you seen the bike up close and personal? If not, go take a thorough look at it. Inspect the engine block closely for pinhole leaks. Is the bike clean? (I mean even in places that are normally obscured from view). Extreme cleanliness is a sign that it was well taken care of. Ask for any service records/and or receipts. Ask if the bike has had the headlight/ignition relay updated, ask where the bike has been kept and if possible view the area...any oil spots in the sellers garage or driveway where he might have parked it on a regular basis? The Rocket is not for everybody, particularly inexperienced riders. You really need to try it on for size and if possible take it on a test ride. You don't necessarily have to be a "He-Man" to maneuver this bike, but it takes a little bit of skill and will handle far differently from your old 180 cc bike. You might also consider test riding some smaller bikes (but larger than 180 cc) to compare how well you handle the R3. Listen to the engine, any unusual sounds (other than sounding like a sewing machine) both at idle and higher rpms. At lower rpms, the Rocket should have almost no vibration (or in the least, a nearly imperceptible ever so slight tremor). When you open the throttle on the highway, you may notice (and feel) a steady hammering from under the tank, hence one of the R3's nicknames - "The Hammer". There is a lot of good information here on the forum, a lot of these guys have forgot more about Rocket specifics than I'll ever know...but these bikes are very dependable and relatively low maintenance (with the exception perhaps of the need to replace tires fairly frequently *DEPENDS ON YOUR OWN RIDING HABITS*). In the end, go with your gut, I was apprehensive about whether I had made the right choice right up until I placed the cash in the seller's hands, but it was one of the best purchases I have ever made.

As the others have said the Rocket is a bit big to come back to riding on. You may want to start with a T-bird (Storm, Commander, LT or one with the bore out kit installed everyone review I've heard it said that the 1600cc versions were slightly disappointing whereas the 1700 was fantastic). They're great bikes too.

That said I took a big break from riding right before I bought the Rocket. About 8 years ago my dad gave me a '93 Vulcan (1600cc). Even thought I had ridden infrequently as a teen, that was my first street bike. I rode her for two years, but then had some mechanical problems that I couldn't afford to fix so I put her in storage. I'm a big guy (300+ lbs, 6ft3in) and because the Vulcan was really well balanced, light, and arguably under powered it was great as a first big bike. I didn't have another bike until I bought my Rocket last year. I've been riding her every chance I get, but there are still times I feel a bit unnerved by her size in some turns. (I'm planning to enroll myself in a riding training course this summer to get a refresher on good practices).

In retrospect, buying the Rocket as my return to motorcycles with so little experience wasn't my smartest choice. Even though I don't regret it as a personal choice, I will always recommend someone start (or return to) riding on something else.

Last edited:
Most people would recommend you start on something much, much ligher then a rocket for your first or second bike.

Its not that you don't have the knowledge how to ride, but in all seriousness, this bike is *@&%@'ing heavy. Really heavy. If you haven't had a heavy bike before, you will have a hard time and finally, drop the bike somewhere. I rode a number of bikes with 1600+ cc's before I got the rocket. I also have an ST1300 which is just a little lighter then a rocket, but it scares me as well how heavy it is.

The bike does great once you are moving, but honestly I would probably start with something a little lighter and work up to the Rocket. Again, my opinion but you are free to do as you wish. I just simply can't see myself ever recommending to anyone who wants to start riding to get a rocket. It sees like lunacy to me.

There are LOTS of motorcycles with Big CC's that are much easier to ride, affordable and have good reliability.

Just my 2 cents!

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will do some more homework on understanding what will be involved with buying a large motorcycle.

Couple of things that attract me to this motorcycle - are its cost and LOOKS :).

I am also signed up for the Basic and advanced rider courses that are offered in my city. I hope to make the decision soon, before the first day of spring.

Welcome from Germany sand!
You said a gap of 6 years, but not how long you actually rode before. If you don't have much experience, the rocket (2294cc btw) is a pretty powerful and heavy beast. I would not recommend it to "learn" on. If you rode your other bike for several years/miles, you could probably do ok. No one can really make that decision for you, but whatever you do, be safe, take some time to practice slow speed, etc. just moving her around a parking lot will be a learning curve for you with the weight.
As for what to ask? Service record (standard upkeep), accident history, and as it's an 05 with 10k, I wouldn't consider it unless they'd had the triumph update kit installed for the transmission. The update kit also helps with the ignition switch, but I'd ask about something like the Eastern Beaver relay.
Let us know what you choose!

Greetings from USA/India - I drove my 180 CC for 6 years, in India before I moved to USA. I will make sure to ask about the update kit.

Well, first of all have you seen the bike up close and personal? If not, go take a thorough look at it. Inspect the engine block closely for pinhole leaks. Is the bike clean? (I mean even in places that are normally obscured from view). Extreme cleanliness is a sign that it was well taken care of. Ask for any service records/and or receipts. Ask if the bike has had the headlight/ignition relay updated, ask where the bike has been kept and if possible view the area...any oil spots in the sellers garage or driveway where he might have parked it on a regular basis? The Rocket is not for everybody, particularly inexperienced riders. You really need to try it on for size and if possible take it on a test ride. You don't necessarily have to be a "He-Man" to maneuver this bike, but it takes a little bit of skill and will handle far differently from your old 180 cc bike. You might also consider test riding some smaller bikes (but larger than 180 cc) to compare how well you handle the R3. Listen to the engine, any unusual sounds (other than sounding like a sewing machine) both at idle and higher rpms. At lower rpms, the Rocket should have almost no vibration (or in the least, a nearly imperceptible ever so slight tremor). When you open the throttle on the highway, you may notice (and feel) a steady hammering from under the tank, hence one of the R3's nicknames - "The Hammer". There is a lot of good information here on the forum, a lot of these guys have forgot more about Rocket specifics than I'll ever know...but these bikes are very dependable and relatively low maintenance (with the exception perhaps of the need to replace tires fairly frequently *DEPENDS ON YOUR OWN RIDING HABITS*). In the end, go with your gut, I was apprehensive about whether I had made the right choice right up until I placed the cash in the seller's hands, but it was one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Thanks much for the new pointer on checking the tyre tread. I will do a visual inspection on the same. I am glad to know - this is a reliable bike. I don't want to sound like I am stingy and on a VERY tight budget, but at the same time would not be much pleased with spending any money on surprise maintenance cost ( given the summer and fall will last just 4 months ).

I have done some extensive road trips in the USA - with rental SUVs, and always felt - the size matters...and hence the larger motorcycle. Unsure, if this logic is stupidly flawed. I will update you pretty soon if I am going to bit the bullet and get the rocket.

Thanks much for the new pointer on checking the tyre tread. I will do a visual inspection on the same. I am glad to know - this is a reliable bike. I don't want to sound like I am stingy and on a VERY tight budget, but at the same time would not be much pleased with spending any money on surprise maintenance cost ( given the summer and fall will last just 4 months ).

Well, the rear tire is 240 mm and is generally upwards of $200.00 not including installation. This expense alone on an annual or bi-annual basis is something you should take into account.

Back