Unhappy with my dealership service experience.....

xlr8tion

Turbocharged
Ride
2016 BMW S1000XR
So I was excited when I got my new R3 and took it into the dealership with new tires, plugs, pads.

Well I got the bike back yesterday afterwards and when I got it home I noticed that the top of the engine was as dusty as when I took it in-including sitting dust on the plug boots in a way that would lead anyone to believe the plugs had not been pulled.

So I called the dealership today and talked with the owner and he assured me that his best tech had done what I asked and when I pressed him on how you could pull and replace the plugs without displacing dust that covered the boots-he said something like" I don't know what to tell you Greg". I was a bit flustered at this point and asked why he did not offer to let me bring the bike back in.

This dealership has a good reputation and they did a great job replacing the tires but in an analogy-how do you walk back and forth across a dusty floor without leaving footprints.

Looks like I am going to have to replicate the service my self and check to make sure what was said to be done was done.

I am not saying the boots had to be polished with aerospace 303..but this was some shoddy service for 655 dollars if these plugs were not pulled. I am going to drain the hypoid to see if that was done then move on to the Brake Fluid....

Man.....6 hours of labor at 70 an hour and you would not expect to see the entire top of your engine covered with dust when you have a plug and fuel line change.

Or would you?

I am going to replace the plugs with iridiums...Looks like I will need a proprietary tool to getd down in and get those plugs out.

BTW...the dealer never called back.

Cheers....Greg

PS...I will be posting up pics of said corroded part 27 of the fuel line assembly...but right now I am vexed over these dusty plug boots.

When I travel there is occasional opportunity to visit the local dealers. The experience can vary, from well-defined to chaotic, but it seems acceptable to their respective customers.

Some shops do kick a lot of dust, but regardless I would have invited you back in the shop. After having a tech pull the bike apart to show that the work was done I would have an opportunity to sell you some more stuff :)

Come up here to New England and try to find a dealer that will change and replace both tires front and back for less than $800+. Unless you live in California..England ...or Australia your screwed..!! There are some exceptions but they're as rare as hens teeth. In the last ten years of owning my bike I've seen seven Triumph dealerships go out of business.

Always demand the old parts be given back to you.

That said 3 of 4 Triumph dealers I've worked with have been garbage. Find you local race bike mechanic, he won't be brand biased, and he will take the care bikes should get. I've never had a bad experience going to a small motorcycle speeds hop for work, their reputation is EVERYTHING so they take pride in their work.

1-fueline2.jpg
1-fueline2.jpg
Always demand the old parts be given back to you.

That said 3 of 4 Triumph dealers I've worked with have been garbage. Find you local race bike mechanic, he won't be brand biased, and he will take the care bikes should get. I've never had a bad experience going to a small motorcycle speeds hop for work, their reputation is EVERYTHING so they take pride in their work.

TRIICK....

Bear in mind I did bring in, to the dealers chagrin, my own tires, pads and plugs from flip. What I am most shocked about is not the fact that the plugs were not changed-is that when the owner gets on the phone and I say" Well if the positions were reversed; I would ask you to bring the bike back in and lets check it out". After saying that...crickets chirped.

This guy was sorta torqued off that I brought in a non 150/80 front and when ever I would mention R3O the wife would say "don't listen to those guys..they don't know what they are doing"..To which I would joke and ask for her number and ask if I could call at 11P and ask how to get the seat off.

This is a small town 3-4 person dealership and I tell you if I am a tech changing plugs I want all the dust off the top of the engine/boots before I pull the plugs so it does not fall into the cylinder.

What ever business you may be in and I started, owned and sold a 175 employee one-you do not leave a client disgruntled as it will revolve back to affect you. Matter of fact the day I picked up my R3 the was a R3O forum member sitting there waitng for his rear B-Stone to be replaced.

I guess what puzzles me is that no call back occurred and I was not rude nor did I berate the owner-I just gave him the chance to make it right by bringing the bike back in for a look.

Guess there is enough business and disdain for us DIY'ers that that call is not going to happen....

Now how to get those plugs out without "Rube Golberging" the plug wrench from the Under Seat Tool Kit I do not have.....

Attached is a few pics of the Rocket fuel line...That was the only part I got back-even though I asked him to save all parts.

I am just grateful for this forum as this is the facts and friends are at-not some dealership.

I am grateful to all of the R3O members that have been patient and helpful...I really mean that sincerely.

Cheers...Greg

Last edited:
The plugs on the Rocket are simple to remove I can have all six out in less than 5min, no special tool required but that being said it is simple as long as you have the intake system removed if not remove it and install the triple K&Ns

Scot....

That would be 5 min with the K and N's? You do need a deep socket to hit those plugs and a hose to seat them so its a 1 hour project for me once I get a hold of one of your toolkits you have laying about.

I run stock so its going to take me a bit of swearing and such. It will be a fugazi.. with that tangle under the tank.

I know...skip the Iridiums....Gap the NGK's to 0.9mm

BTW what super socket are you using to pull those?

You are over thinking the whole procedure with the plugs
1-Dump the air intake install the K&Ns
2-Buy a plug socket and a few 3/8" extensions one three inch and one six inch
3-No need for a tube to seat the plugs just gap them then drop them down the hole then with the extension on the plug socket put that down the plug hole and it will go right over the spark plug tighten and go to the next one it really is that simple in fact the only job on the Rocket that is easier is changing the rear pads as no tools are required for that job.

I also use a long extension magnet(two bucks at any auto store) when I loosen the plugs I then pull them out with the magnet

That's one way of doing it but you risk messing up the gap and cross threading. A little piece of runner tube over end let's you ensure the gap doesn't messed around as you lower it down and you can start the threading by hand, ensuring no crossthreading.

Just one of those things, usually tossing them in is fine, but I'll use a hose thankyou.

Back