Undertank K&N

Can someone give me some info regarding the 12 minute tune mentioned in the first post for this topic? I'm going whith the ru-5111's for the time being, as I'm a little concerned about water with the ru-1700's in some of our Florida downpours.
John

The 12 minute tune...

Start the bike up without touching the throttle and let it idle.

Let it idle (without touching the throttle) until the cooling fans kick on.

At that point, let it idle for a further 12 minutes (without touching the throttle).

Shut the engine off.

You have just completed the "12 minute tune". This simply resets the ECM's learning function to its base or default settings, so now it can re-learn using the new equipment you have installled. Very useful if you change air filters, exhausts, ect....

Please note... you must start this process with a cold engine.

Last edited:
I was thinking of installing the undertank K&N, what about rain getting up under the tank?

It stays dry... I recently rode about 200 miles in the rain with no problems (with the air filter that is :D).. Parts of me, on the other hand, got very wet...

Foam cover recommendations?

Anyone also have the foam filter cover that is advertised? Is it worth the extra $$$ & time? Will "it" also fit in the area that sounds as though it is tight with just the filter being placed under the tank as explained in detail by Pig9r?

Thanks for any input.

I think it would still fit. The frame does touch the filter but I think it could all be crammed in there. I wouldn't worry about rain at all. When compared to the underseat/snorkle stock setup it appears to be just as likely to suck in water.

12 minute tune

Toystoretom, I think you should post this (or maybe you already did) under its own thread for those of us who can remember reading something but can't remember where we read it.......
BTW... nice job as janitor. You could eat off these floors................

Back