Under seat air filter replacement

I had the K&N under the seat and its not a lot of improvement unless you add some better pipes like TORS then it is a little snappier. if you do it I would remove the cowling attached to the seat for better air flow. I did like the idea of being able to clean it more regularly.

How much of an improvement do you get when the intake system is changed to the under seat air filter. Is it worth doing.
Your post confuses me ... is it a typo? Are you looking to get rid of the stock underseat air filter set up, or does the bike already have a filter mod and you want to go back to the underseat air filter from something else?

The under tank is a compromise... works better than the underseat but not as good as the triples. It's biggest plus is that the intake noise is much less than the triples.
Still, If you just want a little more than stock without the noise and having three filters to clean, I'd opt for it.
It will breathe better than the stock setup so it will require retuning as will the exhaust.
If the exhaust you choose is at all louder than stock and at least as loud as TOR's, the triple filter noise is drowned out and hardly noticeable.

It's just removing part of the intake from the plastic plenum back and installing the triangular, flat filter and the small crankcase breather filter. I don't know the part number off hand, but it's around here somewhere, and you WILL need both filters.

If you raise the tank you will see the grey plastic plenum with a black rubber hose at the rear going to the underside of the underseat filter. The hose goes and the grey plenum stays. There is another very small hose under the underseat filter box that goes into the transmission case. That has to be removed and replaced with the small filter since the filter box is no longer used.
Since you are keeping the grey plenum assembly, you don't have to worry about relocating the intake temp probe. It stays put.

If someone doesn't pop in with part numbers, use the search tab at the top to look them up.

I did some research a while back into the air flow capacity of the 3 K&N filters in question.
RU 5111 Undertank: 433 CFM
RU2780 Pods: 191 CFM X 3 = 573 CFM
TB2204 Underseat: 680 CFM

I did some research a while back into the air flow capacity of the 3 K&N filters in question.
RU 5111 Undertank: 433 CFM
RU2780 Pods: 191 CFM X 3 = 573 CFM
TB2204 Underseat: 680 CFM

That may be the capacity of the filters but surely not when you include the series of pipes to get to them? :confused:

Back