UK : Advice needed - blown engine

Funkletrumpet

Standard Bore
First off, as a member of another bike site (bonnevilleamerica.com) I know it's a pain if same old threads crop up so apologies if this has been done to death ...

I have owned my '08 R3 from new and it has only 8134 miles on it.
At about 3500 miles it developed a gear change problem (hence the low mileage, it was no fun to ride) and it's taken until literally days before the warranty expired to get sorted (end of June '10).

After it's fifth visit to a dealer to get sorted, the engine and gearbox (I am told) were stripped down and a part / some parts were replaced on Triumph's instructions.

After approx 6 weeks at the dealers, I got the bike back on 24th July '10 and due to workload, it was 10 days or so until I got to ride it - albeit for only 15-20 miles.
It was sorted and a pleasure to ride again.

I managed another second ride of another pathetic 15-20 miles before going on hols.

After coming back from holiday (29th Aug), I went out last Tuesday and after approx 15 miles, the bike sounded like I was shaking spanners in a metal bucket.

The bike was returned to the dealer and it was found that a part / some parts from the engine and gearbox re-build had failed causing zero oil to be fed to the cam causing that to fall apart and go walkies in the engine.

The dealer had the engine apart and took pics for Triumph.

Today, Triumph have agreed to supply the parts for another re-build.

I have a few questions that I could do with some feedback on (it would be nice if someone has a legal insight into what I'm entitled to do) before I call warranty myself ..

1. How can they prove the casing is not damaged? - not necessarily visible I mean.
2. After doing a few factory tours, when an engine is built they do all manner of tests to make sure it's a good 'un ... dealers can't do that, right?
3. If this goes 'pop' again but this time locks up and has me off at 70, who is responsible for scraping up the bits?
4. Is saying Triumph should supply a new engine (assembled under their control) stating the bleedin' obvious?
5. Does common sense go out of the window?

I have had some feedback from other sources (people who have 'Triump' delaings and a couple have mentioned hearing of other engines that have given up the ghost ... I dunno

Thanks

In the states there is a "lemon law" that gives consumers rights to a refund or replacement vehicle when a reoccurring issue significantly impairs the ability to use the vehicle. I don't know what you have over there but you may want to look into it. Having the cams loose lubrication would make me nervous to rebuild. Did you ask why they don't just replace the engine as a unit?

Yeah, I know of the lemon law but not here in blighty.
The dealer called after the factory had closed for the day so I plan on calling tomorrow.
I intend to ask why they don't replace the engine as a unit and I want written confirmation they accept responsibility for a re-built engine .... for the second time.
I gotta say, all the times it's been into dealers, it must have had more oil changes than a bike with ten times the mileage!!

I also plan on recording the conversation (over here we have to tell 'em we're recording).

I plan on asking ...
"Do you consider it safe to re-build an engine that has tried to eat itself?"
"Do you consider it cost effective to get a dealer to spend 2/3 days building something that could be done in an hour (or less) at the factory?"
"Are you prepared to put in writting there is no damage to the existing engine casing?"
"Do you not consider it a good PR move to have the bike back at the factory (dealer has offered to take it) to carry out the repair?" (Secretly, I don't think the dealer wants to do it!)

I had a sh!tload of trouble with front rotors on my America and they still didn't want to sort that.
They had the America back to the factory for warping rotors for Chrisake but a blown engine? Nahh

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me on an HD, oil pump incorrectly fitted at factory, oil starvation, bang! at 4500 miles

The bike was also just in warranty. The dealer asked Harley for a new engine after examination because in their opinion it was 'not a cost effective repair'

Harley refused and asked the dealer to repair it at which point I got involved, then my solicitor got involved, and the upshot is that the manufacturer has to put it right. This means a repair or replacement at THEIR discretion. In addition they are under no legal obligation to offer any sort of warranty on the repair.

The bike was off the road for 6 months waiting for parts. The best thing to come out of this was that when the bike was repaired I sold it straight away and bought my R3 :)

I wish you luck and hope that Triumph are more reasonable than Hardly Movinson.

If by "casing" you mean the engine block I wouldn't worry about it being damaged from a broken cam. If the cam bearings didn't fragment than all it needs is a good cleaning. They need to remove engine and be sure every oil passage is spotless before reassembly.

I would rather have a good mechanic build me an engine than take one off the assembly line.

Thats just it, didn't a "good mechanic" rebuild it the last time? I think the guy is justly nervous about the whole thing.

gearbox probs

Hi Funkletrumpet, out of interest what was the gearbox problem? only had my rocket a few months and the only thing i hate is that bloody awful gearchange, CRASH, CLUNK ,BANG, been assured most do this, but i find it really anoying, also reckon the rebuilds ,only gonna be as good as the guy whos doing it, looked in the workshop door of our local triumph dealer and looked like they must have recruited from one of the big burger chains, no one looked over 16, much prefer to have some expierienced mechanic work on the bike but where are they?

Hi Funkletrumpet, out of interest what was the gearbox problem? only had my rocket a few months and the only thing i hate is that bloody awful gearchange, CRASH, CLUNK ,BANG, been assured most do this, but i find it really anoying, also reckon the rebuilds ,only gonna be as good as the guy whos doing it, looked in the workshop door of our local triumph dealer and looked like they must have recruited from one of the big burger chains, no one looked over 16, much prefer to have some expierienced mechanic work on the bike but where are they?

1. I always had neutral issues - not in gear when the light was out, in gear when the light was on.
2. Jumping out of first gear - more than once when 1/2 way through a 'U' turn.
3. Jumping out of second gear (not too often, but it happened several times).
4. Main problem was a massive 'chatter' as it failed to select 2nd from 1st if I rode it anything other than like my Granny was riding it.

All this started after about 3500 miles.

I was told that they had a similar problem on the 'early' gearbox - that was one reason it was modified - mine was a June '08 bike but until they opened the gearbox up, they didn't know from the VIN which gearbox I had.
They found I had the "all new and improved" gearbox .... so they changed the bits to 'make it an old model' gearbox and was fine!!
Took 'em 6 friggin' weeks too! :mad:

Back