mr hunt

Living Legend
Ride
2013 Roadster
OK lads opinion time...

I've got steel showing in the centre of the rear - about 200mm long by 10mm wide (4" by 3/8" for the imperialists). Tyre was fine this morning. I've got 160km to get home on Sunday, all highway. Will try to get a replacement tomorrow a.m. but don't like my chances....

OK lads opinion time...

I've got steel showing in the centre of the rear - about 200mm long by 10mm wide (4" by 3/8" for the imperialists). Tyre was fine this morning. I've got 160km to get home on Sunday, all highway. Will try to get a replacement tomorrow a.m. but don't like my chances....
If it was fine this morning and now it has steel showing, we know what you have been doing.

Ha ha ha I wish it were through hooliganism - sadly it was 3hrs of 80-90kph in easter holiday traffic

This is the only situation I'd consider a car tyre, but only as a last resort - and then ditch it as soon as I could a proper one fitted.
Having steel showing you not only risk a blow-out but being done, and with double demerits (presumably same over there as here) I wouldn't be risking it.

Once the tyre gets down to minimal tread, the steel core then shows up VERY quickly. It then doesn't take very long at all to fall apart completely.

Two years ago I had to follow a rider across the top of Washington state because his tyre was down to the core. He rode very slowly and carefully and we made it to a town where he could get it replaced, although he did have to go to the Darkside. Even if you have to go Darkside and don't like it, you are better off doing that than risking getting back on a tyre with no tyre left.

Mate that's not good at all, hopefully you can find a new one. I would sure feel better about it, good luck and be careful!

That is how I went to the darkside back in 1998... Middle of nowhere and all I could find was a mom and pop shop that had a car tire that was similar in size... Rode that one for 20+k and every one thought I was mad...

I got 400 miles out of the rear tire with the metal mesh showing before i changed it. I probably could of got more but didn't want to chance it. You should be fine if only 100 miles. I'd stay off the highways and use the back roads. I know what a hassel it can be getting to dealers.

This is the only situation I'd consider a car tyre, but only as a last resort - and then ditch it as soon as I could a proper one fitted.
Having steel showing you not only risk a blow-out but being done, and with double demerits (presumably same over there as here) I wouldn't be risking it.
Totally agree.

Back