Troubles and havent even had first ride

karl rashleigh

Always pay it forward
Ride
rocket 3 tourer 2006
Hi All i am so new to all this, i Brought a rocket classic 2006 the bike hadnt been ridden for about 7 years due to the owner passing away. when we picked up the bike it wouldnt start and the mechanic said it was the fuel pump (the fuel was off). only 5800k on the clock, we dropped the price down and i brought the bike home as it would take 4 weeks for parts. (probably stupid to by a bike thats not going but i fell in love with it) we ordered a fuel pump, fuel filter. couldnt get it to crank. Told triumph dealer about the bad fuel and the parts we replaced and they booked us in 3 weeks later. took the bike in they gave it a full service, changed the recalls and put a new battery in it and said that the fuel pump was read as being 2006. advised them that we changed the fuel pump. they said they couldnt open the fuel tank until they had a new fuel gasket to replace the old one. i said no worries they said they cant get one for 4 weeks so they didnt do any work with the fuel tank or ecu. i brought the bike back home and the bike started but would not idle and stall straight away. it would rev up as long as i was continuosly reving the motor but would stall when it wasnt reved. we ended up getting a new fuel pressure regulator put it in but it still did the same thing. I have brought a legit ecutune cable. i just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas that could help. its booked into mechanics at a different place in two weeks but i would like to learn what the problems is myself before then so that i know my bike.

It's very hard telling on a bike that hasn't been running for seven years? Besides the pump, your fuel rail may also need replaced, injector ports cleaned, etc? If it's running but not idling, the ports would be my next check? It's getting fuel when you force them open with the throttle, but not necessarily enough to hold idle? Only two fuel lines as well, easy replacements. Last but not least, maybe replace the TPS(s), easy job, could be your problem, and known failure parts on the early models.
I'm sure the real wrenches will come along soon with better input, but those would be my starting points ;)

So have you changed the fuel pump?
As for the gasket - I changed my fuel pump and reused the gasket - No problems.
You may very well have dirty injectors (sitting for so long) or could be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) if so this might need upgrading if they are the old ones (Old ones are black and the new ones are blue)
I think you can see them through the throttle bodies.

It's very hard telling on a bike that hasn't been running for seven years? Besides the pump, your fuel rail may also need replaced, injector ports cleaned, etc? If it's running but not idling, the ports would be my next check? It's getting fuel when you force them open with the throttle, but not necessarily enough to hold idle? Only two fuel lines as well, easy replacements. Last but not least, maybe replace the TPS(s), easy job, could be your problem, and known failure parts on the early models.
I'm sure the real wrenches will come along soon with better input, but those would be my starting points ;)
thankyou for your reply, i have been reading about the tps, the fuel rail is something ive heard but havent thought about as i was sure how that could be related to the problem but i will look into it now. thankyou.

So have you changed the fuel pump?
As for the gasket - I changed my fuel pump and reused the gasket - No problems.
You may very well have dirty injectors (sitting for so long) or could be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) if so this might need upgrading if they are the old ones (Old ones are black and the new ones are blue)
I think you can see them through the throttle bodies.
yeah havent looked at the tps yet but on the list, all recalls where done whilst at the mechanics last time but i am guessing that it is the old tps

Not sure they were ever recalled. Mine are still original 07 (luckily), but my bike's consistently ridden, but low miles. A better version of them was incorporated into newer models and simply made available for those who had failures on the older ones.

Not sure they were ever recalled. Mine are still original 07 (luckily), but my bike's consistently ridden, but low miles. A better version of them was incorporated into newer models and simply made available for those who had failures on the older ones.
wasnt sure if it was a recall or not as i had alot of other work done to it while it was at the shop (havent got the work sheet in front of me) the mechanic i am going to take it too has a really good name and has been recommended on this site. what i liked most about him after i booked the bike in he said to me to have a go with the bike at problem solving and if its not sorted by the book in date then he will sort it out. I had planned on keeping the bike forever so its good for me to understand the trouble shooting that others have gone through.

Definitely take a look at what the dealer did? The big name parts in the official update kit for th 04-09(early#s) were cam tensioner guides, 2d gear, detent spring, instrument/ignition harness, and fuel sender. The kits are a great price from triumph at ~$210, but the labor will run around 20 hrs ($2000). I doubt they put those all in?
Another known fix you'll need is a headlight relay of some sort (you'll hear it as Eastern Beaver on here because that was the most common one used). Without that, your ignition switch will fail at some point. Again, easy fix, $20-60 and an hrs time.
Typically all the known problems in the update kit would occur between 10-20k miles if they were going to be a problem on that specific bike.
I know that sounds like a lot, but it's really not. They are by and by very dependable and outrageously fun bikes!

Minor issues on my 2006 Classic, don't get dissatisfied yet, it's a hoot when it's running. Which color Classic did you buy ?

Minor issues on my 2006 Classic, don't get dissatisfied yet, it's a hoot when it's running. Which color Classic did you buy ?
its black with the maroon strip down the middle, the bike looks brand new, not a scratch it was kept in a warehouse most of its life, the owner brought it and went for ride around australia and then passed away. it came with a camper trailer as well which was brand new. Money isnt the problem it is getting the work done, waiting on parts. waiting 7 weeks to ride something i have been waiting to ride for over a year is frustrating. but i am learning, i have places to buy parts from now all over the world. its just ashame that in Adelaide you have to wait soo long. so basically if i break down in the future i can expect 4 to 6 weeks to get the bike fixed if i cant do it myself.

Back