Triumph Quit Ignoring Your Ignition Problems

I had the upgrade kit installed on my bike in 2010, I got all of the old parts back from the dealer that performed the pro-gratus work. there were several old wire connectors in the box ?

After the bike left me on the side of the road with a wore out finial drive I installed a eastern Beaver kit. Not a problem from ether fix in over 2200 miles:)

I own a "07" Classic Tourer. Same thing, flipped ignition to start and no go. Horn worked etc, blah blah. lol

I wasn't stranded, but irritated with a new bike that wouldn't start. Kept working the switch until it started, and went straight to the dealer. Dealer fixed, no more issue.

Took a while to trust the bike again, but do so now. I had owned a "08" Sprint
ST, that run like a champ and very reliable.

I thought that this was an older R3 problem. You would think the dealers would put a little pressure on Triumph to fix this issue at the factory.

Triumph cars were notorious for electrical problems. I figured it was karma and maybe a Monday or a Friday, when the ignition was wired and installed. lol

Sorry to hear about your luck. Please feel free to put me on the list.

I own a "07" Classic Tourer. Same thing, flipped ignition to start and no go. Horn worked etc, blah blah. lol

I wasn't stranded, but irritated with a new bike that wouldn't start. Kept working the switch until it started, and went straight to the dealer. Dealer fixed, no more issue.

Took a while to trust the bike again, but do so now. I had owned a "08" Sprint
ST, that run like a champ and very reliable.

I thought that this was an older R3 problem. You would think the dealers would put a little pressure on Triumph to fix this issue at the factory.

Triumph cars were notorious for electrical problems. I figured it was karma and maybe a Monday or a Friday, when the ignition was wired and installed. lol

Sorry to hear about your luck. Please feel free to put me on the list.

Yep..don't know why but i was under the impression that this problem affected older
bikes and the fix for this was part of the upgrade kit on bikes from November 07
But that doesn't appear to be the case :eek:

Ray

Just imagine how many more would have failed if some had not been privy to this site and learned of the problem ahead of time. Those who took advice and performed the modification with NEVER having a failure should be documented as well.

The fact that they had to pay for this modification to protect from failure needs to be acknowledged by Triumph as well IMO. I suggest asking for stories from those guys as well, they should write about their fear and concern based on stories from others left stranded and tell how they came to take steps preventing the defect from becoming a real problem.

Just imagine how many more would have failed if some had not been privy to this site and learned of the problem ahead of time. Those who took advice and performed the modification with NEVER having a failure should be documented as well.

The fact that they had to pay for this modification to protect from failure needs to be acknowledged by Triumph as well IMO. I suggest asking for stories from those guys as well, they should write about their fear and concern based on stories from others left stranded and tell how they came to take steps preventing the defect from becoming a real problem.

I agree if you have replaced or made a modification to be proactive and prevent the problem your info is important also so please include....

Come on guys ... I know a lot of you that have had this problem. I need as many stories as possible to get the point across to triumph. They need to address this issue once and for all

OK, here's my story: Left Sweden for an European Tour last summer. Travelled down to Germany and the R3 meet, then on to Switzerland, Italy and up to Austria. I was heading to a friend's place in Hungary. Outside Gratz in Austria (and that is 1384 miles/2228Km from home) my ignition went dead. Had to take it all apart, found a loose connection but no chance to fix it on the highway. So I called up the wonderful guys at r3owners.se and they guided me to a Triumph dealer in Gratz, but they didn't know what to do exept order a new ignition set, but I refused. So with my swedish friends on the phone checking the R3 electric wiring in the book, we by-passed the ignition on a pavement outside the shop, and off I went, came to Hungary the same night. I'm in the front line to make Triumph accept this as a problem and do something honest about it. Oh, by the way, I am still by-passing it with good relay/switch and a heavy battery, rockets shall not be standing still:D

Ignition Switch

Man does this sound like my 1995 Dodge 2500 Truck.
Dodge ran the head light load through the dash switch. Dash switch would get hot enough to melt some insulation. Could ge a heaver switch ?? Nope get read of the load! I found a Relay harness that plugged into the existing Truck harness. Lights are brighter on dim that they use to be on bright and the switch stays cool and no problems.( been 10 yrs)
When I get my Rocket I'll do the same even if I have to make the harness.

a drag at the drags

:mad:Mine went this weekend at the Iron Horseman drags.2 practice runs and it will not start when it`s time to race.How do you bypass the ignition?The new part is $180.00.I do have 55,000mi.It is a dangerious situation when the bike dies at night or a slow speed turn.I am going to try and repair the switch.Put me on the list.

Back