Transmission question

mbdean55

.020 Over
I just wanted to know if I'm alone on this, or if I should take it to the dealer to have it looked at during the winter here. Since I bought my rocket this past summer ('05 model) I've always had a little trouble going in to first gear from neutral. Just seems like it doesn't wanna go sometimes unless I pump the clutch once or twice. That and it seems like the transmission itself shifts pretty hard going in to first then from first to second. Softer 2nd to 3rd but thereafter it seems just fine. It could just be this is my first shaft driven bike? I just want to keep my beast happy. I was told when I bought it that all Triumphs shifted a little hard but it wasn't a Triumph dealer so who knows really. I came off a '99 Honda Magna which shifted super smooth so I just wanna make sure the Rocket's ok.

Happened to me a few times on my '13 - shifts are generally pretty cluncky but I kinda like that (bikes and owners :whitstling:)

Some pretty big gears in that box.....
Maybe you have a week detent spring (if there is such a thing) hopefully someone will chime in with the right answer.

I have a 2009 classic and I always have to pump the clutch once to guarantee a solid clunk into first. If I don't, it will commonly slip into neutral again. So I wouldn't be concerned. It has never slipped out of gear on me after a clutch pump and solid clunk.

Make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly. If it is even a little bit out you will have problems.

Too much free play and you will find 1st gear hard to select, as the clutch plates are still slightly engaged.

Too little free play and you will break the clutch lifting mechanism as it will twist too far and wear out, or snap, or both.

2 to 3 mm free play at the clutch lever is correct.

Another quick question for you, does it jump out of 2nd gear under hard acceleration?

Unfortunately mine does the jumping out of second gear now under acceleration. Good enough reason to change pistons, cam and clutch while in the process of gear fix.

I just wanted to know if I'm alone on this, or if I should take it to the dealer to have it looked at during the winter here. Since I bought my rocket this past summer ('05 model) I've always had a little trouble going in to first gear from neutral. Just seems like it doesn't wanna go sometimes unless I pump the clutch once or twice. That and it seems like the transmission itself shifts pretty hard going in to first then from first to second. Softer 2nd to 3rd but thereafter it seems just fine. It could just be this is my first shaft driven bike? I just want to keep my beast happy. I was told when I bought it that all Triumphs shifted a little hard but it wasn't a Triumph dealer so who knows really. I came off a '99 Honda Magna which shifted super smooth so I just wanna make sure the Rocket's ok.

my 07 classic is about the same. sometimes you have to let the clutch out and then try 1st again.
clunks into 1st most of the time,but sometimes after running awhile goes in smooth as silk.
bought at 6000 miles now have 21000 always been the same.
like idk67 says check your free play.
herman

My 05 shifts very smoothly. Goes into first without much clunk unless I let out the clutch in neutral and then immediately pull it in and shift into first. All upshifts are very smooth. Better than the Honda Valkyrie and Honda VTX 1800 I had before the Rocket.

Guys... Guys........ Scott (Warp9.9) has mentioned this a few times before but I will repeat on his behalf the cable adjustment is critical to good gear changes, yes it is a clunky box but if you grab the cable where it goes into the lever end adjuster and pull you should only have 2 to 3 mm play max, any more and your clutch will is have friction when fully pulled in, if you have none you will wear the lifter piece and lifter shaft which will make it worse later on as it will cause excessive wear or cause one of the two to break, I would recommend you find his threads on the subject and read then make it your winter project to do the lifter piece/shaft replacement.
I had to replace my detent spring so decided to see if any difference would be made replacing the smaller head lifter piece and when I got in there I could see that the smaller head lifter piece had actually worn a groove in the shaft a little so I replaced both (I also upgraded the fibres to the MTC H/D ones and also the heavier MTC springs) the difference this made was fantastic I now have more positive clutch and have no trouble selecting neutral, the shift is still clunky but that is just the nature of the beast

Back