Transmission Problem...? Crap!

Super D.

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3 Standard Black, Flyscreen
I think that I have a dreaded transmission problem that seems to be more common than not on 05' R3's. I was riding up an on ramp, and it started grinding (like the gears were almost meshing, but not quite). I got it pulled over, and it happened in 1st and 2nd, but went into 3rd. And then I just shut it down before I really screwed something up. I looked at my clutch, and it was adjusted out pretty far, so I thought that it might be the clutch. So I called up my local shop, and they told me it was probably the transmission, and it would be close to $3,000 to pull the engine, crack it, and replace what was needed.
I know this has happened to others, so my question is this:

Should I try to just by another engine?

Should I go ahead and have the triumph dealer fix it?

Or does anyone know a decent Triumph mechanic in So. Cal that might be able to do it for cheaper than $3k?

Since the engine is going to have to be pulled anyway, should I pull it myself, and send it to Carpenter Racing, and have them do the upgrades, and the transmission?

@IMFASTTOO will also be able to answer that question, if you are going to spend an arm and a leg might as well monsterize it!!!:)
I k
Both the above mentioned have a vast amount of knowledge with the Rocket I would trust them before any mechanic giving you quotes over the phone hope it turns out to be an easy and cheap fix.
Sh!t, me too! I am going to start tearing into it tonight. If anything, I am still going to replace the clutch. So I might as well see if there is anything easy that I can do...

I took my transmission to Carpenter, because I didn't trust anyone local, especially my dealer, LOL. Came away with undercut gears and a billet 4th gear, seems rock solid now.

I k

Sh!t, me too! I am going to start tearing into it tonight. If anything, I am still going to replace the clutch. So I might as well see if there is anything easy that I can do...
@Super D. If I was going to tear into it the first thing I would do is drain the oil and coolant. Then pull the sump pan off for a look see around the catch screen areas. Especially the output drive bearings. My bet is you find some metal in there.

@Super D. If I was going to tear into it the first thing I would do is drain the oil and coolant. Then pull the sump pan off for a look see around the catch screen areas. Especially the output drive bearings. My bet is you find some metal in there.
I pulled the radiator today. I'll get the front cover off tomorrow. I'll update if I find something.

I think that I have a dreaded transmission problem that seems to be more common than not on 05' R3's. I was riding up an on ramp, and it started grinding (like the gears were almost meshing, but not quite). I got it pulled over, and it happened in 1st and 2nd, but went into 3rd. And then I just shut it down before I really screwed something up. I looked at my clutch, and it was adjusted out pretty far, so I thought that it might be the clutch. So I called up my local shop, and they told me it was probably the transmission, and it would be close to $3,000 to pull the engine, crack it, and replace what was needed.
I know this has happened to others, so my question is this:

Should I try to just by another engine?

Should I go ahead and have the triumph dealer fix it?

Or does anyone know a decent Triumph mechanic in So. Cal that might be able to do it for cheaper than $3k?

Since the engine is going to have to be pulled anyway, should I pull it myself, and send it to Carpenter Racing, and have them do the upgrades, and the transmission?
WELL you have a point no point in rebuilding using stock parts nows your chance to build the engine of your dreams . CARPENTER can do the complete build for you and do all the upgrades sounds like the best plan

Back