transmission noise!!

albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
I had hoped to go for lunch 60 miles away in a little town .. on two wheels however 10 miles out I noticed a intermittent "grinding noise " like gears turning with no oil not too loud barely audible ,and felt as well but definitively there from third and fourth being where I heard it most. I cannot pinpoint the origin precisely but it seems coming from the engine block down low I had hoped low oil would do that noise but no joy there, oil is aplenty it is not so brutal that I can pinpoint it but I would rather prevent any further damages, could it be the oil pump? not pumping or the scavenging pump? leaving the gears dry ? any idea before I take it to the dealer?

I wonder if its your output drive. Maybe a bearing is letting loose. You can do some easy checks before taking it to the dealer. I would remove the oil sump pan which comes off easily and usually to can reuse the gasket. look in the catch screens to see if you see any metal bearing shavings. its a easy job here is a couple pictures of the sump pan so you know what your dealing with.
yellow is the bolt holes 21 of them red is catch areas you might find heavier items in. Green is the screens (two of them) I was referring to with the covers in place that you have to pull to get the screens out for cleaning.

sump mounting bolt holes.jpg

Below is a picture with the screen covers off the one on the left will have more metal in it if you rear output bearing is going. The output drive can be pulled and fixed without totally taking the engine out even though the book says to pull the engine. Rocket Scientist just did his with great results. he has some good pictures on this site.

sump screen.jpg

I hope this helps because if you have to pay a Triumph tech it will be kind of pricey.
I will also lend any knowledge my limited Arse has :D

I wonder if its your output drive. Maybe a bearing is letting loose. You can do some easy checks before taking it to the dealer. I would remove the oil sump pan which comes off easily and usually to can reuse the gasket. look in the catch screens to see if you see any metal bearing shavings. its a easy job here is a couple pictures of the sump pan so you know what your dealing with.
yellow is the bolt holes 21 of them red is catch areas you might find heavier items in. Green is the screens (two of them) I was referring to with the covers in place that you have to pull to get the screens out for cleaning.

Below is a picture with the screen covers off the one on the left will have more metal in it if you rear output bearing is going. The output drive can be pulled and fixed without totally taking the engine out even though the book says to pull the engine. Rocket Scientist just did his with great results. he has some good pictures on this site.

sump screen.jpg

I hope this helps because if you have to pay a Triumph tech it will be kind of pricey.
I will also lend any knowledge my limited Arse has :D

I am grateful for the help and since I have a lift table today it earns its keep I am on my way to take the pan down and check.. thanks for the pictures.

I am grateful for the help and since I have a lift table today it earns its keep I am on my way to take the pan down and check.. thanks for the pictures.
Just make sure you get all 21 bolts down before you try to get it loose. I would them put a couple bolt in the corners with just a few threads in so you can go around and loose the pan up this will keep it from falling and tearing the gasket before you get it all loose. I am not sure if it has ever been down before but if it has it will be easier to save the gasket. there is some ledges you on each corner you can use to pry it loose slowly. it will also retain some oil in the cut outs and screens so take it down level and you won't get messy :D Below the picture has been modified to show the ledges you can use to pry it loose they are in light blue

Just make sure you get all 21 bolts down before you try to get it loose. I would them put a couple bolt in the corners with just a few threads in so you can go around and loose the pan up this will keep it from falling and tearing the gasket before you get it all loose. I am not sure if it has ever been down before but if it has it will be easier to save the gasket. there is some ledges you on each corner you can use to pry it loose slowly. it will also retain some oil in the cut outs and screens so take it down level and you won't get messy :D Below the picture has been modified to show the ledges you can use to pry it loose they are in light blue

yep I was removing the bolts 18 all around but had to come back to the computer to check the other three you know the one not around the perimeter any way back to the garage PS I have a wood block level with the pan so it won't fall down I will take pics as welland post them to help others.
BTW about the last three bolts in from the edges got the long one off but cannot find the other two... are they similar in size or are they the big drain style bolts?? cause I cannot see any other regular bolts as the 19 I just removed. got another one thanks to the mirror I use but cannot find the last one

Last edited:
Pierre,
Good fortune with this, Amigo!
I hope you find ALL GOOD NEWS.

yep I was removing the bolts 18 all around but had to come back to the computer to check the other three you know the one not around the perimeter any way back to the garage PS I have a wood block level with the pan so it won't fall down I will take pics as welland post them to help others.
BTW about the last three bolts in from the edges got the long one off but cannot find the other two... are they similar in size or are they the big drain style bolts?? cause I cannot see any other regular bolts as the 19 I just removed.
The three bolts that are hiding from you are circled in orange below

oil plugs.jpg

Back