Transmission Issue!

Franks Rocket III

.020 Over
Just want to see if I'm alone on this issue:
My 2011 Rocket III Roadster started jumping in and out of 4th. It's 2+ years old and I've put 23,000+ miles on it. Talked to 2 dealers who both said there was an issue with "jumping out of gear". They make two "Upgrade Kits" to correct. One for the silver engine Rockets and one for the black engine. They said Triumph might provide this kit (which utilizes replacement gears with fewer engagement dogs on them), but doesn't think they'll touch the labor....Approximately 20 hours ($96 per hour) to R&R engine and make repairs.
What are these, 2 year motorcycles and then replace them? It's my 4th Triumph in 3 years and it looks like it will be my LAST!

The update kits were for earlier models and were to correct a second gear problem, not fourth. All bikes after 2008 had the updated bits anyway. The dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. Pretty normal for dealers....

Detent spring is goining or allready went. if you hold in fourth gear does it stay ? I must commend your dealer for owning up to the Update kits for the early Rockets not many of them f=do that being said as Ruzzle pointed out its for the second gear cluster. I revert to my pirst statement and await your response on holding it in 4th with your foot.

Detent spring is goining or allready went. if you hold in fourth gear does it stay ? I must commend your dealer for owning up to the Update kits for the early Rockets not many of them f=do that being said as Ruzzle pointed out its for the second gear cluster. I revert to my pirst statement and await your response on holding it in 4th with your foot.

Yes, that seems to help. The first time I held it in gear it jumped once. The second time it didn't jump at all. Sounds like this could mean the Detent Spring. I had ruled this out initially since I only had the problem in 4th and thought it would effect all of the gears?

Just want to see if I'm alone on this issue:
My 2011 Rocket III Roadster started jumping in and out of 4th. It's 2+ years old and I've put 23,000+ miles on it. Talked to 2 dealers who both said there was an issue with "jumping out of gear". They make two "Upgrade Kits" to correct. One for the silver engine Rockets and one for the black engine. They said Triumph might provide this kit (which utilizes replacement gears with fewer engagement dogs on them), but doesn't think they'll touch the labor....Approximately 20 hours ($96 per hour) to R&R engine and make repairs.
What are these, 2 year motorcycles and then replace them? It's my 4th Triumph in 3 years and it looks like it will be my LAST!

Report from Triumph Shop 12/5: Shifting problem is NOT the Detent Spring, It's DEEPER! They are in the process of pulling the engine and splitting the CASE!!! Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$

Report from Triumph Shop 12/5: Shifting problem is NOT the Detent Spring, It's DEEPER! They are in the process of pulling the engine and splitting the CASE!!! Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$
I am definetly interested in what they find especially since I bought a complete 2011 tranny incase I have problems with my 06/07 partly tranny. I already have changed the second gear cluster and the input shaft I bent when the internal clutch hub grenaded.

The detent spring can have different symptoms. I have had two go.

The first time it went the gears were immediately hard to change, and then I ended up getting stuck in 1st gear. Fortunately I was only about 2 miles from home, so I rode home in 1st gear.

The second time it went I was on the other side of the country. Fortunately I didn't get stuck in gear. What did happen was that it would jump out of gears, mostly 3rd and 4th, and sometimes 2nd. Once I got to top gear it stayed in quite happily. If I kept pressure on the gear shifter after changing into that gear then it would stay in the gear. I would also get some false neutrals during gear changes if I didn't change solidly and deliberately. I was able to not only ride several thousand miles back home, but also a few thousand more before I actually got round to changing the spring. btw, that is not the recommended course of action.

Your problem may not be the detent spring, but as they have to get the from panel off to split the engine it would seem to be the obvious thing to check it before going any further. Any decent shop should be able to get at it to check it with not much more than an hour's labour.

I am definetly interested in what they find especially since I bought a complete 2011 tranny incase I have problems with my 06/07 partly tranny. I already have changed the second gear cluster and the input shaft I bent when the internal clutch hub grenaded.

The dealer said they'd have it apart by this Weds. They said a weak or broken detent spring would not make it jump in and out of just 4th gear. They think the dogs on 4th gear are rounded and letting it slip in and out perhaps caused by a bent, worn, or broken shift fork. I'll send more info as available.

Back