dawb

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
I know most everyone here needs no further recommendation, but for those that have not done the long ride home or are considering the Rocket, just do it. Just back from 7500 mile, 28 state, 120 saddle hours done in the last 15 days. I live in CA, rode the canyons in Utah, did Cleveland Rock and Roll museum, rode all over Vermont and New Hampshire (omg), visited Niagra Falls, lighthouses in Maine, sat in NYC traffic for 90 minutes crossing the GW bridge, caught the witch memorial in Salem, went down to the Smokies via the top half of the Blue Ridge Parkway, road the Dragons Tail 3 times, Moonshiner 28, and back across on I40 catching some great bbq and fried chicken. The bike performed flawlessly in traffic, on the open road, by day or by night. Passed anything and everything desired at any time. Got lots of what is that at gas stops.....did not see one other Rocket out there. You want performance, durability and one kick ass unique bike? Rocket Touring. Clock ticked 30k, not my first long ride home for sure but longest on this bike.

Thats a great ride in anybodies book. Its not the length of the ride that impresses me but the diversity of it. I been riding motorcycles for 58 years, some rides are are outstanding, some are great, some are good, none are bad. I've ridden many brands and many sizes, presently own a couple of V8 powered bikes along with my new Rocket 3 Touring bike which so far is great, I still have a little KAWASAKI 175 that I keep in the Philippines and use when I'm there. All bikes are fun and there isn't one made that can do everything the very best, each has its merits etc. It seems like you're definitely getting the best out of your bike, congrats on your ride.

I know most everyone here needs no further recommendation, but for those that have not done the long ride home or are considering the Rocket, just do it. Just back from 7500 mile, 28 state, 120 saddle hours done in the last 15 days. I live in CA, rode the canyons in Utah, did Cleveland Rock and Roll museum, rode all over Vermont and New Hampshire (omg), visited Niagra Falls, lighthouses in Maine, sat in NYC traffic for 90 minutes crossing the GW bridge, caught the witch memorial in Salem, went down to the Smokies via the top half of the Blue Ridge Parkway, road the Dragons Tail 3 times, Moonshiner 28, and back across on I40 catching some great bbq and fried chicken. The bike performed flawlessly in traffic, on the open road, by day or by night. Passed anything and everything desired at any time. Got lots of what is that at gas stops.....did not see one other Rocket out there. You want performance, durability and one kick ass unique bike? Rocket Touring. Clock ticked 30k, not my first long ride home for sure but longest on this bike.

A real good account of what reads like a great motor trip.
I totally endorse that all riders who have NOT done a long extended motor trip - SHOULD! ASAP!

In all my years of road riding (53), I had never been out longer than three weeks until two years ago when I did a 11,500 mile (6 week) criss-cross of the country on my R3R.
When I left, I was wondering how my old bones would deal with the long, day after day riding. I was also concerned about being away from my magnificent wife for so long, never more than three continuous weeks in 40 years.

Those two concerns simply vaporized. At about the 5th week, I realized how long I'd been on the road. After arriving at my final fuel stop before home, I said out loud, "I could do this for at least another month!" -(lodging costs not withstanding). I was so energized, I made another long ride (only 2K miles attempted) just three weeks later. Twas cut short by my crash near Alice's Restaurant on Skyline Blvd near Woodside, CA.

I guess the moral of my story is DO NOT MISS the opportunity and adventure of you and your motor across the REAL America!

dawb & 1olbull, a cross country trip is something I have on my list. I have yet to do a trip that is longer 600 miles. You are an inspiration. I had the opportunity to have breakfast with a great couple (both on their own Rockets) from Phoenix that are on a tour of the USA. They came to the Cape a couple of weeks ago and their story is fantastic. My wife and I found inspiration in their story as well as their sense of adventure. I have been making a list of stops along the way since we had breakfast that rainy morning with our new Phoenix friends.

There is nothing like a long trip, especially across the country. Glad you enjoyed it, but if you had let us all know, I reckon a whole bunch of Rockets would have been happy to meet you and help you enjoy the ride. I have met some wonderful people in all 48 states and the souther parts of Canada while touring on the RIII.

There is nothing like a long trip, especially across the country. Glad you enjoyed it, but if you had let us all know, I reckon a whole bunch of Rockets would have been happy to meet you and help you enjoy the ride. I have met some wonderful people in all 48 states and the souther parts of Canada while touring on the RIII.

Ain't that the truth!
When I made my first one, I sought out some of the members to meet along the way. All were STAND-UP . . . even the @mexican, who rode a couple hundred miles just to hook up for some dinner! :eek: :roll: :p :inlove :inlove :inlove
One might even save a few nights motel money . . . :thumbsup: ;)

20150814_060714.jpg

A real good account of what reads like a great motor trip.
I totally endorse that all riders who have NOT done a long extended motor trip - SHOULD! ASAP!

In all my years of road riding (53), I had never been out longer than three weeks until two years ago when I did a 11,500 mile (6 week) criss-cross of the country on my R3R.
When I left, I was wondering how my old bones would deal with the long, day after day riding. I was also concerned about being away from my magnificent wife for so long, never more than three continuous weeks in 40 years.

Those two concerns simply vaporized. At about the 5th week, I realized how long I'd been on the road. After arriving at my final fuel stop before home, I said out loud, "I could do this for at least another month!" -(lodging costs not withstanding). I was so energized, I made another long ride (only 2K miles attempted) just three weeks later. Twas cut short by my crash near Alice's Restaurant on Skyline Blvd near Woodside, CA.

I guess the moral of my story is DO NOT MISS the opportunity and adventure of you and your motor across the REAL America!
True that! Once you get going on the ride, it takes over! I've done the coast to coast 5 times now..see more direct than others all in the 2-3 week time frame. Envious of 5-6 weeks.....maybe get there soon!

20150814_060714.jpg

True that! Once you get going on the ride, it takes over! I've done the coast to coast 5 times now..see more direct than others all in the 2-3 week time frame. Envious of 5-6 weeks.....maybe get there soon!

Nice pix! Youse look to me like someone fun to ride with! o_O
Doing 2 to 3 rides of 2 to 3 weeks duration had been my habit since the sixties.
Since 2013, I prefer at least 1 ride about 3 to 4 K miles and several others in the 3 day to 2 week range.
Being so close, you NEED to hook up with Jim @RKTNMYPKT in Antioch. He is an awesome ride buddy . . . even better if you bring light bulbs! :eek: :inlove

The one thing I definitely underestimated on my last trip was the cost of lodging, I think if I was going to be gone longer than two weeks I'd map out all of the KOA campgrounds ahead of time.

@dawb I rode the Touring for 5 yrs before picking up my current Roadster, and you are right it's a helluva bike.

The one thing I definitely underestimated on my last trip was the cost of lodging, I think if I was going to be gone longer than two weeks I'd map out all of the KOA campgrounds ahead of time. @dawb I rode the Touring for 5 yrs before picking up my current Roadster, and you are right it's a helluva bike.

Jinbo,
I am riding to Burns, OR for my buddy's memorial ride and then after (9/28) I plan to do some more riding.
How about a hook up in Yreka and then do a ride west to Fortuna, south on 1 to Alice's?
Should be about 3-4 days for you.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Yre...3e748bb2b!2m2!1d-122.2654063!2d37.3866843!3e0

Back