Time for a new rear tire, car tire or bike tire ?

Openeoad

OpenRoad
Ride
Triumph R3R
12000 miles later I'm looking at expose metal and I'm debating on which tire to go with, any comments or or suggestions would be appreciated. Metz Is expensive, everyone knows that , I'd like to hear which brand and dimensions on car tires anyone is having luck with.

bridgstone exedra max half price of metz twice the mileage good grip every body is switching to that model replacing metz and avon DS I have no idea!!

or a Riken raptor 225/55-16. There are quite a few DS tyres that work. They don't suit everybody, but you'll never know if you never try.

If its superior handling, safety and streetability you favor above all, then the lower cost of a car tire (it's only redeeming feature in my book) is 100% irrelevant and it's a motorcycle tire all the way, regardless of some of the cockamamie arguments put forth by Darksiders.

The best rear meats for a stock rim are The B'stone Exedra Max, Avon's Cobra and the OEM Metzeler, in that order, IMHO. The B'stone is about 1/2" taller than the stock sized tire, which actually provides a slight improvement the bikes geometry and it is a higher endurance tire than the others, so it should give you some additional miles vs. the others.

12,000 miles from a Metzler is pretty impressive - about 4 times the mileage I ever got out of one. I get twice as much out of a Bridgestone as I did with Metzler and managed somewhere in between with Avon. You should give either of those a try, although I believe the Bridgestone is easily the best option in every respect by a big margin.

To get that sort of mileage I assume you ride pretty conservatively and/or on the highway. Unless the road is dead flat without camber, with car tyre you will need to constantly input into the steering either with counter steer or leaning or both just to go in a straight line. Slow speed handling and cornering also will be more of a challenge. Not knocking car tyres - I have 4 of them on my car - but they are designed for and have a natural tendency to want to run pretty much vertical to the road surface.

Back