sgl0226

.020 Over
I just brought home my new 2012 Touring. I've already posted one question and now have another. And I suspect I'll have several more. But that's why these forums are so great. My question is this. I had the Rivco risers put on. The front brake cable has no slack in it when the bars are turned side to side. I can turn the bars all the way to each side, but the cable definitely has no play in it at all at the full turn. Is this ok or should I address the issue before the 600 mile service?

I just brought home my new 2012 Touring. I've already posted one question and now have another. And I suspect I'll have several more. But that's why these forums are so great. My question is this. I had the Rivco risers put on. The front brake cable has no slack in it when the bars are turned side to side. I can turn the bars all the way to each side, but the cable definitely has no play in it at all at the full turn. Is this ok or should I address the issue before the 600 mile service?

I would have a longer one made and have them fit it at your 600 service. With the ABS you gotta know what you are doing so I am told.
Any tight cable would fatique and possibly fail sooner than it should otherwise.

I've had the Rivco risers install on my '08 for more than 3 years. I don't see a problem with the cable being too tight and have had no issues. If you feel it is too tight you could simply reroute the cable to the back of the triple tree. Easier and cheaper that replacing the cable.

I've had the Rivco risers install on my '08 for more than 3 years. I don't see a problem with the cable being too tight and have had no issues. If you feel it is too tight you could simply reroute the cable to the back of the triple tree. Easier and cheaper that replacing the cable.

I think rerouting would work. Does your cable have any slack when you turn the bars fully?

I think rerouting would work. Does your cable have any slack when you turn the bars fully?

Yes, it has some slack. I think the key is, do you have the same amount of free play in your brake lever with the bars at full lock? If the gap at your brake lever disappears at full lock then your cable is too tight, if it remains constant you should be fine.

My cable feels the same in all positions, but if you are worried about it, just move it behind the triple tree. I assume you already did that with the clutch cable as mine was too tight in the stock position.

Know when i fitted the high t-bars to my standard i had to undo the bracket that held the brake cable to the bottom triple tree (yoke). Zippy tied it so it had a bit extra reach and didn't flap around. No idea if the Tourer has similar set-up by thought i'd mention it.

I just rotated the bars down a little and got a little bit of slack in the cable. Not much, but makes me feel a little more comfortable about waiting til the first service to have it rerouted. And the bars feel a lot better too, so a double win! Can't wait to put my first miles on it tomorrow.

Back