Thinking of buying a Roadster

Pancho

.020 Over
Hi from New Zealand. First time on the site. I'm thinking of selling my Harley (please keep jokes short) and buying a Roadster. I'm looking at a 2008 and a 2012. Is there any real difference and did the 2008 have the little problems sorted out from the previous years. Ta Ady.

Welcome!

You won't be disappointed with the Roadster. I'm pretty sure 2008 was the year they fixed the shifting problem, but someone with more knowledge will be along soon to confirm or deny it

Hello Pancho and welcome to the forum.
If you can afford it buy the '12 but don't be afraid of buying the 08, mine was biult in 04 and the total repair bill from then till now is $142.00 from a malfunctioning clutch switch.
If the 08 that you are looking at runs good more than likely is a good bike.
Keep your Harley if you can afford it, always good to have more than one bike:)

Thanks for that. The 2012 had done 27k's and the 2008 has done only 15k's. Not sure to go for the later year or the lower k's.

First up, a 2008 isn't a Roadster; it will be either a Standard (came out with pegs, solid colour, twin seats) or a Classic (boards, 2 tone, pull back bars, dual seat). The Roadster wasn't released until 2010, presumably while Triumph mulled over the colour scheme, with claimed increase in power (but not really borne out in fact), ABS and the pegs moved back and down - stupid move in my book.

'08 and '09 models are arguably the best because they did indeed have pretty much all the bugs ironed, a more sensible and comfortable (to me) seating position, 3 pipes instead of 2 enormous goofy feet and at least some choice of colour. I wouldn't mind the ABS though.

All Roadsters are black (yawn) and the biggest change on the latest one is the exciting and bold addition of even more black. They've also removed the power restriction in the first 3 gears that most of us simply removed on earlier models anyway, but have the drawback of having a locked ECU preventing further tuning enhancements.

I ride my '09 every day and it's given me pretty much no trouble beyond what you'd expect from 55,000km.

Welcome to the site. Stop thinking; just do it. Whatever model you buy you will love it.

Thanks for that. The 2012 had done 27k's and the 2008 has done only 15k's. Not sure to go for the later year or the lower k's.

2012 will still have warranty (2yrs), the 2008 wont be a Roadster (2010 on) but the 2012 might be.
I would go for the 2012 after all the 12,000klms is no big deal in my book plus a warranty.

Oh :eek: Welcome to the forum Mate (He is from the Eastern State of Australia):rolleyes::D

First up, a 2008 isn't a Roadster; it will be either a Standard (came out with pegs, solid colour, twin seats) or a Classic (boards, 2 tone, pull back bars, dual seat). The Roadster wasn't released until 2010, presumably while Triumph mulled over the colour scheme, with claimed increase in power (but not really borne out in fact), ABS and the pegs moved back and down - stupid move in my book.

'08 and '09 models are arguably the best because they did indeed have pretty much all the bugs ironed, a more sensible and comfortable (to me) seating position, 3 pipes instead of 2 enormous goofy feet and at least some choice of colour. I wouldn't mind the ABS though.

All Roadsters are black (yawn) and the biggest change on the latest one is the exciting and bold addition of even more black. They've also removed the power restriction in the first 3 gears that most of us simply removed on earlier models anyway, but have the drawback of having a locked ECU preventing further tuning enhancements.

I ride my '09 every day and it's given me pretty much no trouble beyond what you'd expect from 55,000km.

Welcome to the site. Stop thinking; just do it. Whatever model you buy you will love it.

Good work that man, take the rest of the night off. Thanks for all the info, I learn something new every day. :)

Back