sgl0226

.020 Over
I currently have a 2011 Thunderbird and absolutely love it. But recently my wife has been joining me for rides with a great group of riders that I've met. Some of the rides may be anywhere from 4-6 hours. I'm comfortable on my Tbird for about four hours, but my wife wouldn't even do well in a car for that long. She's good for about 2-3 hours on the Tbird. We're both in our late 50's so things aren't as easy as they used to be. I test rode the Rocket Touring the other day and absolutely loved how powerful and smooth it was. I'm thinking that my wife would probably be a lot more comfortable on that than the Tbird, especially once we hop on the freeway for the ride home after riding on the back roads all day. I'm not saying the Tbird isn't comfortable, but the Rocket seems to be in a league by itself. I've owned big bikes before (Road King, Street Glide) and the Rocket seems fairly easy to handle. The Tbird is extremely easy to handle and that's what I'm a little afraid of giving up. The 20 minute test ride really didn't give me a feel for riding in the twisties, although I am a fairly conservative rider (only been riding about 6 years).
I'm writing all this just to try to get some thoughts from people who perhaps can relate to my situation. Any comments would be appreciated.

You summed it up pretty well. When I rode a T'bird I thought it was best handling bike I'd ridden. They're brilliant. But the Rocket is something else. I haven't ridden a Touring but I hear they handle amazingly well for a bike of their size. Certainly my Standard, once I got the hang of it, presents no handling issues at all. I don't really notice the size and can keep up with all but the most spirited sporties through most stuff. If they leave you in the corners or at the top end, you make it up with sheer grunt anyway. If you liked the Touring after a short ride I can guarantee it only gets better. Go for it; you won't regret it.

Welcome, by the way. We have a T'Bird forum on here too so why not stick around regardless of what you do.

If she rides on the back long enough she'll want one of her own. Why not give her the T'bird and then you can get whichever Rocket floats your boat?

These beasts handle pretty well in the corners. Here's a little video of me keeping up with the more agile Speedy/America's at a rally in Wisconsin. Go to 4:00 in and that's the entrance to Wild Cat Mountain where there's some decent twisties for a few minutes.
Wild Cat Mountain - YouTube

U won't have to worry about the Tbirds woefull clearance anymore . I switched bikes with a mate for a bit on one ride and I took his tbird and the first two things I noticed was the massive drop in torque and how the pegs scraped when barely leaning . Very nice bike but it's no Rocket

welcome to the site.
A Rocket Touring can be adapted to make the wife very comfortable,
and the good thing about it is,
you won't even know she's back there,
cause the bike sure won't show it.

If she rides on the back long enough she'll want one of her own. Why not give her the T'bird and then you can get whichever Rocket floats your boat?

I've been trying to get her interested in riding her own bike but there's just no way. She won't even take the MSF course. I offered to get her a Can Am but she says no. It would be a perfect solution for me but it's just not happening. So my next best solution is to get the Rocket.

I've been trying to get her interested in riding her own bike but there's just no way. She won't even take the MSF course. I offered to get her a Can Am but she says no. It would be a perfect solution for me but it's just not happening. So my next best solution is to get the Rocket.

Hey SGL
My wife goes everywhere with me and she loves the R3.. hell she even naps/sleeps on occassions much to my telling her she's gonna fall off one day...
Japanese they can sleep anywhere:rolleyes:
(Im not advising anyone's passenger to do this unless they are Japanese)

But thats comfort and ultimate trust for you..

I fitted a touring seat, front and rear large back rests and floorboards and I always adopt a very focused style of riding to protect my loverly wife, unlike my normal rev arse solo riding style ;) :cool:

Our longest straight ride was 900 Kms / 11Hours..On Gel seats and OEM pegs..
So all I can say to you mate is Saori recons its comfortable :D

Thanks for all your input so far. Keep it coming. I have a counter offer in to the dealer (they don't open again til tomorrow so I'll have to wait). I'll post what happens. We're about $700 dollars apart right now.

Back