Thinking I have to have a Rocket III in my toy box.. Questions coming

afishinado

.020 Over
Ride
15 HD Road Glide 99HD Wide Glide 05 Rocket3
Hello Everyone
Dyed in the wool Harley guy here, looking to add to the toy box something bad azz... Had 8 different Harleys so far (if I remember correctly) and a Honda which was my trainer. But I AM NOT a brand loyal idiot, unless someone gives me something for free!
Live in Florida, semi-retired with my wife and two doggies. She also rides. We travel west every summer for 6 or 8 weeks do the Rocky Mountains etc. This year we purchased a 5th wheel toy hauler/RV and are going to go on a somewhat abbreviated trip and stay on the east side of the US, leaving shortly. I am old enough to have been through the muscle car era of the late 60's and now that I have given up offshore fishing (and the big boat) I can afford pretty much what I want. I ride 12 Harley Road Glide, a 99 Harley Wide Glide, and she rides a 09 Harley Heritage. The 99 is my first Harley and my baby, like lots of Harley guys first bike, all chromed out yadda yadda yadda... I ride it on 'short' rides, the Road Glide gets all the action. It has what's called a 'stage 2' performance kit on it so it isn't too boring...
So that's who I am, and where I'm coming from. Now, why I am here....
Been looking to satisfy my itch, I will continue to tour on the Road Glide, but I would like something that goes like stink, has some presence, and not have the riding position of a sport bike. Was looking at the Boss Hoss, but have decided if I ever need to go back to three wheels, I'll buy a Boss Hoss Trike. As a motorcycle, they are just too darn big. Cool to look at, cool to listen to, but not something I want to ride. I have always liked the old Valkaries, but they have no more umph than my Harleys (less actually). Then one day someone sent me a link to a video I'm sure you've all seen a dozen times of the Rocket going through it's paces, smoking rubber everywhere.... I think I've watched it 30 times... So, I think that I want to add one to the toy box. I'm in the used crane business, all my life I bought new when I couldn't find what I want used, sometimes it only takes something minor, like the engine size to do it.. So, I am going to buy a Rocket III.... I see plenty in the sub $10k price range. The reason I am here is to figure out what year I should buy mainly, specification changes, anything I should be aware of etc etc.. Doing the due diligence....

Sounds obvious, but get the latest model you can find for the money you want to spend. If you find an old one with really low miles, don't assume it's necessarily a good buy. Some of the older models had various upgrades and one that hasn't been ridden much mightn't have had all the work done it should have. If you're looking at pre-Roadster (2010) then the '09 is the best bet. Standards (04-09) had pegs and tandem seat and, by '09 had all "issues" pretty much ironed out. Classics (06+) had foot boards, pull back bars, dual seat and 2 tone paint. Roadster (2010- ) models have ABS and a more neutral riding position with pegs moved back and down. All Roadster are boring black although the latest models have a couple of stripes (yawn). Touring model is a different bike - same engine but detuned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Rocket_III

Thanks Canberra, that's the type of info I'm looking for

This is just my opinion of course, but you being used to more of a cruiser position I would recommend an '09 classic or standard since the riding position will be more what you are familiar with from the HD line and it has all (or most) of the bugs worked out. Same engine, same performance potential, but more of a cruiser type riding position than the roadster. My fat bottom girl is a roadster, but I also ride a '13 ultra classic limited on long trips. As much as I lover her, I just can't do the same miles on the roadster that I can on the ultra. But put her on a twisty road and the big girl is in her element.

The stock R3 is OK, decent exhaust system + air filters will give 155-160 hp at rear wheel.
As you are in the US if you like to really tear it up, talk to Carpenter Racing for serious speed.

Welcome from Weeki Wachee!

I like my '12 R3R much more than any motorcycle I've previously owned, at that's a pretty broad spectrum.

It's pretty simple, go test ride! And in my opinion, there ain't no comparison between ANY Rocket, and ANY Harley. 2 cylinders/3 cylinders, belt-chain drive/shaft drive. Rocket is FAST, as it comes, no add on's necessary. And don't forget the $14995 msrp !!!!! I've got more than that tied up in my 06 1200 Sportster, that I don't ride anymore, since the Rocket showed up.

My fat bottom girl is a roadster, but I also ride a '13 ultra classic limited on long trips. As much as I lover her, I just can't do the same miles on the roadster that I can on the ultra. But put her on a twisty road and the big girl is in her element.

Okay, so it looks like a 09 or newer.... I'm not seeing the different 'models' named in the ebay ads for example... How can I tell a 'Classic' 'Standard' or a 'Roadster' apart??? From what I read the touring version is not what I am looking for...
As heavy as these are (I am surprised) does your Roadster feel any more nimble than the Ultra? Before I read all the specs, I was thinking this would feel like my Wide Glide but with lots more punch. Hell, thing weighs in at what my Road Glide does..

It's pretty simple, go test ride! And in my opinion, there ain't no comparison between ANY Rocket, and ANY Harley. 2 cylinders/3 cylinders, belt-chain drive/shaft drive. Rocket is FAST, as it comes, no add on's necessary. And don't forget the $14995 msrp !!!!! I've got more than that tied up in my 06 1200 Sportster, that I don't ride anymore, since the Rocket showed up.

I hear ya Coot... I appreciate where you're coming from. I fully expect it to be the fastest thing I ever slung my leg over, if it isn't I'll be looking for something else to play with! I won't buy a new one unless I got a deal I couldn't refuse, and what it will take, won't happen. I will test ride one first, I have a bud with a Kawasaki that is a good customer at the dealer here locally that sells them. We'll fit it in the schedule.

Back