Thinking about buying a Rocket

grampi

Supercharged
Ride
2013 R3R
I currently own an M109R. I love the bike for one-up riding, but it's not a good two-up rider. I put a backrest on the bike for my wife, but it's still not comfortable on the back according to my wife. She said she will ride with me if I get a more comfortable bike. Being the performance junky I am, I started to think about what bike I could get that has the balls of the 109, but would be better suited for touring. The Rocket was the 1st bike I thought of. I've noticed Triumph makes the Rocket in a touring model, which would be perfect for us. About the only thing I don't like on the touring model is that grampawy looking windshield. Are there any factory or aftermarket fairings available for the Rocket? Also, are there other seat options available? I'm interested in a seat that has a backrest for both the passenger and the rider.

As far as the bike itself, is there anything I need to know as a 109 owner going to a Rocket? I know it's heavier, but that isn't necessarily a big concern for me. I'm comfortable with big, heavy bikes. I'm more concerned with reliability (as I've never owned a British made bike), parts availability (both OEM and aftermarket, because there are so few of them), and the small dealership network. Luckily, we have a Triumph dealer in my town, so support is there if needed. Any info from Rocket owners would be highly appreciated...

First of all, g'day and welcome to the site. There is a lot of good info here, and a lot of good technical help, as well as a bit of fun and joking around.

There are a couple of options available for R3T fairings, and a few people have adapted fairing from other bikes to fit. A bit of searching around will dig up some options for you.

Howdy grampi! I personally can't speak to the 109 to rocket question (coming from BMW bikes myself), but in terms of the fairings/seats, I had been looking around myself as I had been very used to buying Corbin saddles/etc for most of my other bikes.

Corbin does indeed make a two-up tour with backrests for BOTH rider/pillion, and, they also have a fairing as well (They call it Fleetliner). I know everyone has their favorite company/etc and for me, Corbin saddles were great (and not too off the chart expensive).

I know mustang also has R3T saddles, but I don't recall seeing them with a backrest for rider AND pillion (theirs only had rider backrests from what I remember when I looked at them a couple months back).

I'm a new R3T owner and only have 260 miles on it in the first 2 days, but so far (I know, not a ton of miles yet) the stock seat is actually a lot better than I expected and plan to ride it for a good while longer as-is before I start thinking about a custom saddle again.

I'm sure a bunch of folks with a lot more miles than me will chime in on the reliability/parts issues but after lurking/reading here for a few months prior to buying mine, it seems pretty solid and aside from a few well known things (negative battery cable replacement to a heavier gauge, headlight bypass/eastern beavertail and an ignition switch replacement) I really didn't see a lot of deal-breakers, at least for me.

I tell you this much, I read/heard about that big stupid grin from the rockets but really didn't get the full effect until I myself got out on a nice stretch of open road. Holy !*$&%!@#$*, it's just massively enjoyable.

Hi and welcome from one of the Aussies, having owned a M109r you will be very pleased you changed, they turn into a corner a lot better and are way easier to ride and the gear change on the rockets are superb compared to the 109. My only regret is not riding the 109 before buying it ( Suzuki don't have test ride bikes here) as I wouldn't have brought it! where as the rocket is just so much better feels a lot lighter when riding just wish I had gone to Triumph sooner and it is fantastic two up as well.
Cheers Pete

Welcome grampi, I am not sure where your from but it sounds to me like you should also look at the Classic model late 08 and 09 would be the most updated Classic models out there. It really depends on looks/style you like. Double bug eyed beast that commands respect or a Harley look alike with a monster power plant. Both can have hard bags but the touring comes with them standard the rest of us add them.

Here is a picture of my 06 Classic with Hepco & Becker removable hard luggage.

SzczepaniaksPics011[1].jpg

Corbin also makes Beetle bags as well as a front fork mounted fairing (Harley Like :() pricey but nice.

P3150078.JPG

Anyway Rocket Classic models 2006 to 2009 came with floor boards as does the Touring model 2008 and up. The Rocket Standard 2004 to 2009 came with forward mounted pegs. The Roadster 2010 and up came with rear located foot pegs. You should at least go sit on if not try all three Rockets and the touring to see what makes the both of you happy. I am not sure if there is a drivers back rest for the touring but I bet there is. As for the other models the Classic touring saddle fits them. Corbin also makes seats for &&& and I think the most comfy one out there is made by Russel Day Long Saddle. They do not show or list one for the Touring so you might have to ask them. The one they make for the Rocket is more like a couch.
https://www.day-long.com/gallery_Specialty_Bikes.html

Anyway hope this helps any questions ask away.

Welcome!

The Rocket has been in production for 10 years so they've knocked out most of the issues with her. If you're buying used, get 2009 or newer. There's still an issue with the lights being wired into the ignition that can cause some solder to melt and suddenly the bike won't start. There's also another issue where a crimped spring in the transmission can break and cause the bike to slip out of gear. Both issues are 'common' in the sense they pop up here now and again, but most bikes don't see them anymore. Dealer network is only an issue if your local dealer is an asshat, but there's plenty enough knowledge on this forum to get issues cleared up. Parts can be a little slow getting to you though but lots of the guys here have spares that they're willing to part with at cost or a reasonable price + shipping.

You'll want to have a look at this thread http://www.r3owners.net/threads/fairing.23112/ regarding your fairing.

The next question you'll probably have is if the R3T (Touring) is capable of putting out the same power as the R3R (Roadster). The answer is YES. They share the same engine and gearing, it's just the R3T has been detuned for 'efficiency'. A $20 cable to remove the restrictions will clear that up. Then mods to both bikes show similar power gains. The biggest difference between the bikes is aesthetics and riding position (R3R is a bit more cramped due to higher pegs for more aggressive riding in turns).

Thanks for the replies. Another question just cropped up for me...is the Roadster the only model that comes with the 240 rear tire? I may take issue with that skinny 180 on this beast...I would think a bike with THIS much torque would need every bit of the 240 just to keep from spinning every time the throttle is cracked...

Welcome grampi, I am not sure where your from but it sounds to me like you should also look at the Classic model late 08 and 09 would be the most updated Classic models out there. It really depends on looks/style you like. Double bug eyed beast that commands respect or a Harley look alike with a monster power plant. Both can have hard bags but the touring comes with them standard the rest of us add them.

Here is a picture of my 06 Classic with Hepco & Becker removable hard luggage.

SzczepaniaksPics011[1].jpg

Corbin also makes Beetle bags as well as a front fork mounted fairing (Harley Like :() pricey but nice.

P3150078.JPG

Anyway Rocket Classic models 2006 to 2009 came with floor boards as does the Touring model 2008 and up. The Rocket Standard 2004 to 2009 came with forward mounted pegs. The Roadster 2010 and up came with rear located foot pegs. You should at least go sit on if not try all three Rockets and the touring to see what makes the both of you happy. I am not sure if there is a drivers back rest for the touring but I bet there is. As for the other models the Classic touring saddle fits them. Corbin also makes seats for &&& and I think the most comfy one out there is made by Russel Day Long Saddle. They do not show or list one for the Touring so you might have to ask them. The one they make for the Rocket is more like a couch.
https://www.day-long.com/gallery_Specialty_Bikes.html

Anyway hope this helps any questions ask away.

The bike in the top pic is hot looking...the one in the bottom pic, not so much....are these two different models?

Thanks for the replies. Another question just cropped up for me...is the Roadster the only model that comes with the 240 rear tire? I may take issue with that skinny 180 on this beast...I would think a bike with THIS much torque would need every bit of the 240 just to keep from spinning every time the throttle is cracked...
Even with a the bigger tyre I can get wheel-spin, or the front wheel in the air. It is sometimes exciting guessing which one it will be. :)

The bike in the top pic is hot looking...the one in the bottom pic, not so much....are these two different models?
The bike on Top is a Classic all Classics came with two toned paint scheme with pin striping. the one in the bottom is a 07 Standard with the Classic handle bars Classic touring seat and the Classic Floor board kit. It also has 3-1 pipe where as the 06 was OEM. And the 07 is Cardinal red with the Corbin beetle bags. I two have always like the looks of the Classic models. Here is another view of the same 06 Classic with a different color scheme
The Millennium Falcon.JPG

She has grown over the years

Back