Thermostat housing leak

Ridefree

Supercharged
Ride
2013 R3T .... 2003 Harley softail
Hi all, looks like I have leak at the thermostat housing or the bleed screw just above it haven't had a chance to really look at it to be sure. It looks like the oil tank needs to come of to gain access. Can you guys tell me if that is the best way to get at it.
Thanks in advance, Ridefree

It seems unlikely the thermostat hosing would start leaking if it hasn't been disturbed. I would look closely at the two rubber hoses that connect right there. See if their clamps need nipping up ?

It has leaked since the rebuild last year took a while to find it because it was so slight and they were a couple other hose leaks I was chasing down. I haven't ridden it in 3 months due to relocating and family illness. All is well now and life is seeking down so I want to fix it and start riding again. Would rather take care of it myself than take it back to the shop again. I checked the bleed screw and it was tight along with the housing bolts

Like Fred said the hose is hopefully the culprit. Mine was the lower small one. Now to answer your question yest you can remove the thermostat housing with the oil tank on but you will have to hold your face straight :) The rear bolt is the harder of the two to get on but I have changed the thermostat in mine before so I know it can be done.

I've tried tightening the hoses at the housing but I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow. I think they may have used the old o ring on the housing when they put it back together. It seems to leak when I first start it child and then stops leasing once it's warmed up

Back