Bob T

.040 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
Ona couple of occasions I have had the opportunity to take my 2008 R3T over 120mph. Both times have been very nerve racking. So at 120 + the bike becomes very unstable and the preverbial tank slapper starts. My first thought is that it is the windshield causing it. I have the half size screen with the deflectors on it. Has anyone else experienced this? When I have washed my underwear I plan to try again with the windshield off. Can anyone recommend a good steering damper? And stain remover?

Things I have found causing front end wobble in the past:
Steering head bearing adjustment
Cupped front tire and/or low air pressure
Front and rear wheel alignment
My windshields have never caused front wobble - buffeting perhaps, but not wobble.
HTH

I had my R3T over 120 on several occasions and it was smooth as can be. But I was using the stock full sized windshield that came with the bike, so I'm not sure what difference the 1/2 screen with the deflectors would make, if any.

I've had it happen a couple of times. Although I'd describe mine as more of a weave than a tank slapper. Simply letting off the throttle settled things down. Other times its been smooth. I think its a combination of things. Of course the windshield plays a part, as do the saddlebags. Neither can be considered very aerodynamic. Tire pressure and condition, road condition and wind direction will all play a part.

All things said, its not a platform that lends itself to high speed running.

Mine was straight as an arrow at 120+ With a fairing and medium shield with motorcycle tires. I get a wobble now around 80 mph now with the car tire on the back but I still keep her hammered down. I always wonder what the person in the car I'm passes is thinking when I blow around them all wobbly like that. :eek:

Mine would do it around 100 mph with a Metz front tire and Metz rear tire.
Now it will do it at 40 mph with Avon front and Bridgestone rear but it will not wobble at over 100 mph or at that speed. With my hands off the bars it will get so bad that I will have to grab them to keep from going down. Weird to say the least.
Now not long ago I adjusted my headstock bearings since I thought I had to much free play. It took no effort to turn the bars with the front tire off the ground. When I adjusted the bearings I left it on the tight side. Not extremely over tight but snug. Now the 40 mph wobble is gone. Bike is good now at all speeds. I would like to have a stabilizer but not an easy task. There is a write up about installing a Scott stabilizer in which it can be done but it takes a little fab work for installation. Oh and the Scott stabilizers aren't cheap. :banghead:

http://www.scottsonline.com/

I had one of these on my sportbike and it worked really great!

http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Racing/Steering-dampers/Ohlins-steering-damper/

http://www.2wheelpros.com/ohlins-st...dl6zYQdrzHHXnw0ZoMbo-DyVQWW9JfCNJ0aAgMu8P8HAQ

Last edited:
I run DS and it is smooth at any speed that I have ridden - which includes triple figures. The only time I had a problem was many years ago, and it was when the front tyre was a bit low on pressure.

Ona couple of occasions I have had the opportunity to take my 2008 R3T over 120mph. Both times have been very nerve racking. So at 120 + the bike becomes very unstable and the preverbial tank slapper starts. My first thought is that it is the windshield causing it. I have the half size screen with the deflectors on it. Has anyone else experienced this? When I have washed my underwear I plan to try again with the windshield off. Can anyone recommend a good steering damper? And stain remover?

I was lead to believe that the touring was speed limited to around 93mph because of an instability problem they have...that's what the tech at my local shop said when i questioned him about more top end when i owned an 08 touring

I was lead to believe that the touring was speed limited to around 93mph because of an instability problem they have...that's what the tech at my local shop said when i questioned him about more top end when i owned an 08 touring

The top speed is limited due to the H rated tires. That's the story I got from Wayne at Tuneboy. Triumph told them that when they made him promise not to raise the speed limiter on the R3T before giving him access to the ECU for his tune development.

yeah i suppose that makes more sense if it were an instability issue they should be able to engineer it out which in turn wouldn't leave them open to all sorts of legal stuff. Thanks for those wise words

Back