rcr#29

.020 Over
After my last service (and they adjusted my valves), my tach is not working properly.
Of course it was under warratee, i should have brought it back but justthought it was a plug lose, now its not under warrantee anymore and i need to check it further..

Does anyone know which plug it is under the tank, so i can check the pins etc.. dont want to unplug all the plugs trying to find if i dont have to.. pics would also be good if someone has them..

Bike is an 06 RIII Classic.

Thanks in advance for your help..
:confused:

Thanks ill check that.

Update: Checked the fuses all look good.
Going to start with the plugs now.. even though I dont know which is which. I guess no one does. Kind of strange.
Guess ill report back after and let everyone know. Hope i dont fry anything trying to figure it out. :eek:

Last edited:
Pretty simple really, prop the tank up, take out the intake plenum, then work your way from the tach back to the ECU.

I would assume that since they took the cam cover off, something got unplugged or they forgot to plug something back in the harness or they damaged something. It takes some manuvering to get the cover off.

Can you go back to the dealer and have them look at it? I don't blame you if you don't want to ( I don't like anyone touching my bike, #1 reason why they breakdown IMO) but the tech may know right off the bat what is wrong since he worked on it recently and knows what he moved to get to your valve cover

Went back to the dealer and the dork i mean tech apparently checked it out and found nothing.. (i should have asked him at that time which plug it was but he wasnt very friendly)... I started it up and it appeared ok, on the drive home it was off again.. I screwed up not taking it right back when it was serviced but like you said hate to go there if you dont need to.. now im stuck.

(FYI: the tach works, its just off a few thousand rpms.. says im reving 6 or 7 grand when it should read 3k, And when you turn on the key, it doesnt reset to 0 it stops around 3 grand)..

The wires are all in heat wrap so its hard to see which is which.
I'll lift the tank and unplug the plugs one at a time and see which one it is.
Then check the pins.

Just dont want to order a new tach if thats not the problem.

Thanks for the input anyways.

This should have been taken care of under warrentee. **** IT!!
MY BAD!! :mad:

Update: Found the connector for the speedo and tach.. everything looks ok, took it apart made sure connections were good and greased put it back and it still does it.. you know right away cause it does not go all the way when you turn on the ign to reset the guages it only goes half way, speedo is fine.. :confused:

Last edited:
Tach Problem

Hello, I'm having the same tach problem. If I keep turning the key on and off it will usually straighten itself out. I recently had a "cat removed w/tors" tune put in it and the tach problem went away for a few days, then came back. Makes me think problem is in the ECM. If I come up with anything I will for sure post it. Later, Fred

Tach Problem

Hello again, I just read the thread about the fuse for the heated grips causing tach problems. Went and looked at mine and someone had put an aftermarket fuse in there that had a little led on it to let you know it was blown. It wasn't even blown but I replaced it with the correct fuse and WA LA ! No more tach problem. Even put the old fuse back in and problem came right back. To cool ! Thanks all, Fred

Back